When nuetering a dog, does it matter how old they are?

I know the reason for neutering a dog is to stop overpopulation basically. But I was told it wasn't necessary except to stop overpopulation until the dog is around 5 years old. That is the time they could get prostate problems. BUT I don't believe that…

I know the reason for neutering a dog is to stop overpopulation basically. But I was told it wasn't necessary except to stop overpopulation until the dog is around 5 years old. That is the time they could get prostate problems. BUT I don't believe that…...
    General Dog Discussions : When nuetering a dog, does it matter how old they are?...

• When nuetering a dog, does it matter how old they are?

When nuetering a dog, does it matter how old they are? General Dog Discussions
      I know the reason for neutering a dog is to stop overpopulation basically. But I was told it wasn't necessary except to stop overpopulation until the dog is around 5 years old. That is the time they could get prostate problems. BUT I don't believe that and always thought 6 months old was the time to neuter a dog. So, what do you know about this subject?

When nuetering a dog, does it matter how old they are? General Dog Discussions
    • By 6 months is the usual, but can be done any time, never too late.Avoids a lot of issues, from going nuts when pooch smells a female in heat, to marking in the house, to canine diseases.Waiting until 5 years is ridiculous, why would you do that, no point at all, by then all the harm could have been done, from breeding to testicular issues -

• Do it at six months so the lungs are fully developed (easier for the anesthesia to pass). Cancer has no age - your dog stands the same risk of prostate cancer at three that he does at five. What does matter is - there's more anesthetic risks involved the older the dog is so this routine surgery of neutering is actually riskier when the dog is already middle to old aged. Depending upon the breed, by five years old, they will probably have other health issues, which also increasing the surgical risks. Get the dog done at six months.

• I would neuter at 6 months,neutering is not just used to prevent pet overpopulation,but it can also keep your dog from getting reproductive illnesses(testicular cancer etc...)It can also help to keep your dog from running off,male dogs will do anything to get to a female in heat,and it will reduce marking as well.

• 5 is usually when breeders stop breeding their dogs, or at least in females. You should get the males fixed as soon as possible to prevent any "accidents". Females are the ones that are usually 6 months to a year. Males can get clipped earlier.

• Male dogs can get testicular cancer at any age as well as prostate infection and cancer of the prostate. The age of neutering can vary; for large and giant breeds some people will wait for the dog to achieve a substantial portion of their growth before the male hormone is stopped by neutering. Small and medium size dogs should be done somewhere around 6 months.

• It's not necessary for those that supervise their dogs well when the dogs are outside. It's necessary for those that don't. Six months is the MINIMUM age. Some do it younger, but there's a lot of controversy to that. We had a 10 year old Beagle spayed. We got her at 10 years old.

• Dogs can reproduce at a young age. Waiting until they are 5 years would give them plenty of time to be able to reproduce, so if you are doing so to prevent reproduction, it should be done sooner. Many people feel 6 months is a good age, however, there is evidence to suggest that neutering before a year can increase the chances of bone cancer and other problems. Personally, I would not neuter any large breed dog before the age of 1 year. Some studies found that neutering can lower chances of prostate cancer, however, they were not controlled studies. Two newer, studies have found that neutering multiplies the chance of prostate cancer by 4 times. Here is an informative article that looks at both the risks and benefits of spaying and neutering. It also provides the studies to back up the info. http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/longtermhealtheffectsofspayneuterindogs.pdf----------------"Of the whole endocrine system these are two glands that are not needed except for reproduction. The body will do good & even great with them."Really??? I think that is completely and totally false.

• I think it is best to get them neutered as soon as a Vet will do it. When the estrogen or testosterone starts flowing dogs develop certain habits that could have been stopped if the dog had of been fixed earlier.Firm believer in spay/neuter. I have rescued large & extra large dog for over 40 yrs. trying to do what I as an individual could do. I have worked with many rescues & several Vets.I would much rather see spaying/neuter questions on there than, 'my dog is about ready to have her babies what do I do?''is my dog about to have her babies', 'do we pull the puppies out with our hands?'Of the whole endocrine system these are two glands that are not needed except for reproduction. The body will do good & even great with them.

• The sooner done, the less likely problem behaviors such as humping and marking, and accidental breeding. Also once done, less likely to get lost or killed when roaming in search of a female in season. There may be some minor physical differences if done before growth is complete, but balance that against the benefits. I have yet to see any convincing arguments to put off after 6 months.

• my cairn terrier got done at 6months that was the soonest his vet would do it but he started marking the house at about 4 or 5 months we counted the days till the surgery lol. another question i have seen on here is my male has a lump(s) by or on his testicles what could this be? cancer is what pops into my head!

• I think you should neuter your dog whenever you are ready or hell NEVER if you can properly supervise your dog. Behavioral matter can and STILL do happen even if a male is fixed when he is a pup. At most its subjective and really comes down to the ability of the OWNER to control their dogs."Accidental" matings are very easy to prevent - Never allow your dog near an in heat bitch and don't leave him outside in a yard he can escape from with minor difficulty < easier than tax returns.Early neuter DOES have it cons though you won't find any in the SN brigade who are willing to admit that. There is also the fact that neutering only really eliminates TESTICULAR cancer. Prostate issues can still arise.Honestly unless you live someplace with an MSN law, an insanely high licensing fee for intact dogs or know you can't be 100% responsible for your dog - don't bother.