Any Short term side effects of neutering my 5 year old dachshund?

He's getting neutered on Tuesday because he has an enlarged prostate apparently neutering him will shrink the prostate the vet said he'll keep him for a day and give him pain medications and everything he needs then on Wednesday I'll pick him up he's a…

He's getting neutered on Tuesday because he has an enlarged prostate apparently neutering him will shrink the prostate the vet said he'll keep him for a day and give him pain medications and everything he needs then on Wednesday I'll pick him up he's a…...
    General Dog Discussions : Any Short term side effects of neutering my 5 year old dachshund?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Any Short term side effects of neutering my 5 year old dachshund?

Any Short term side effects of neutering my 5 year old dachshund? General Dog Discussions
      He's getting neutered on Tuesday because he has an enlarged prostate apparently neutering him will shrink the prostate the vet said he'll keep him for a day and give him pain medications and everything he needs then on Wednesday I'll pick him up he's a happy hyper dog but lately sad cause he can't run due to his prostate so will it really shrink back down? What side effects after I pick him up will he have?

Any Short term side effects of neutering my 5 year old dachshund? General Dog Discussions
    • Kudos on getting him neutered! He is a little older, but not really considered a geriatric patient. He will have a tiny bit of discomfort and swelling at the most, but the procedure itself takes about 10 minutes and is very un-invasive. He will be back to himself in a day. Two tops! Your main concern will be keeping him still, not running around, and not chewing his incision site. When you bring him home, he may just want to sleep in his crate or in a quiet place. He may even be nauseous. The hospital should give you a list of instructions like when to feed him and how much for the first two days. It's really not an intense procedure. Every dog is different and your veterinarian should be able to give you better info than anyone on here, but yes, typically the prostate returns to normal. You are doing the best thing for your dog. Good luck!