My 11 month old dog has just been neutered today. What changes can I expect?

I have only had spayed females, and this is my first neuter. I am afraid he will act completely different and gain a lot of weight. What changes can I expect, and does this happen??? Will he still be excited to greet me at the door everyday? Please…

I have only had spayed females, and this is my first neuter. I am afraid he will act completely different and gain a lot of weight. What changes can I expect, and does this happen??? Will he still be excited to greet me at the door everyday? Please…...
    General Dog Discussions : My 11 month old dog has just been neutered today. What changes can I expect?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• My 11 month old dog has just been neutered today. What changes can I expect?

My 11 month old dog has just been neutered today. What changes can I expect? General Dog Discussions
      I have only had spayed females, and this is my first neuter. I am afraid he will act completely different and gain a lot of weight. What changes can I expect, and does this happen??? Will he still be excited to greet me at the door everyday? Please help! Thanks!

My 11 month old dog has just been neutered today. What changes can I expect? General Dog Discussions
    • he is not going to act to you any different, only that he may get more calmer and not worry about the testerone raging for the females. i don't think he will gain anymore unless you feed him more.

• You can expect very little change. Max was neutered a couple months ago. Since his neuter he's the same old happy jumpy dog, and even shows interest in my in heat female. The only change I have noticed is that he now focused on me even more than he was before. Honestly he's like a pup again, actually wanting to play with toys and spend time with the family instead of always on the search for that next "ready" female. He has not gained any weight. Weight gain comes from lack of exercise and overfeeding. Not neutering.

• Well my JRT was castrated partly due to the face her was so alpha male, very aggressive and used to fight with other male dogs. Since the castration he improved vastly, he is not so aggressive however he still dislikes other male dogs who are NOT castrated. Expect your dog to be a lot calmer, less agressive and enjoy! As for the other worries i.e a change in total personality i can PROMISE you this will not happen, you will always have the dog you know and love and there is certainly no reason for him to gain a lot of weight! Hope this helped =)

• The only behavior changes that are observed after neutering relate to behaviors influenced by male hormones. Playfulness, friendliness, and socialization with humans are not changed. The behaviors that change are far less desirable. The interest in roaming is eliminated in 90% of neutered dogs. Aggressive behavior against other male dogs is eliminated in 60% of neutered dogs. Urine marking is eliminated in 50% of neutered male dogs. Inappropriate mounting is eliminated in 70% of neutered dogs.Activity level and appetite do not change with neutering. A male dog should not gain weight or become less interested in activity post neuter.His interest will be reduced but if he is around a female dog in heat, he will become aroused by her. Mounting behavior often has roots in the expression of dominance and may be expressed by a neutered male in a variety of circumstances that are not motivated by sexualityThere are several health benefits to neutering. One of the most important concerns the prostate gland, which under the influence of testosterone will gradually enlarge over the course of the dog’s life. In age, it is likely to become uncomfortable, possibly being large enough to interfere w/defecation. The prostate under the influence of testosterone is also predisposed to infection which is almost impossible to clear up without neutering. Neutering causes the prostate to shrink into insignificance thus preventing both prostatitis as well as the uncomfortable benign hyperplasia (enlargement) that occurs with aging. It is often erroneously held that neutering prevents prostate cancer but this is not true.Other health benefits of neutering include the prevention of certain types of hernias and tumors of the testicles and anus. Excessive preputial discharge is also reduced by neutering.