What are some health benefits of spaying and neutering?

I am (finally) wrapping up my article and I'm talking a little bit about spaying and neutering. I have already mentioned adopting at the beginning and I gave the website of a local shelter. I need a little more inspiration.

I am (finally) wrapping up my article and I'm talking a little bit about spaying and neutering. I have already mentioned adopting at the beginning and I gave the website of a local shelter. I need a little more inspiration. ...
    General Dog Discussions : What are some health benefits of spaying and neutering?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What are some health benefits of spaying and neutering?

What are some health benefits of spaying and neutering? General Dog Discussions
      I am (finally) wrapping up my article and I'm talking a little bit about spaying and neutering. I have already mentioned adopting at the beginning and I gave the website of a local shelter. I need a little more inspiration.

What are some health benefits of spaying and neutering? General Dog Discussions
    • Benefits of Spaying:No heat cycles, therefore males will not be attractedLess desire to roamRisk of mammary gland tumors, ovarian and/or uterine cancer is reduced or eliminated, especially if done before the first heat cycleReduces number of unwanted cats/kittens/dogs/puppiesHelps dogs and cats live longer, healthier livesBenefits of Neutering:Reduces or eliminates risk of spraying and markingLess desire to roam, therefore less likely to be injured in fights or auto accidentsRisk of testicular cancer is eliminated, and decreases incidence of prostate diseaseReduces number of unwanted cats/kittens/dogs/puppiesDecreases aggressive behavior, including dog bitesHelps dogs and cats live longer, healthier livesTop 3 Reasons to Spay and NeuterIt helps to reduce companion animal overpopulation. Most countries have a surplus of companion animals and are forced to euthanize or disregard their great suffering. The surplus is in the millions in the United States. Cats are 45 times as prolific, and dogs 15 times as prolific, as humans.They do not need our help to expand their numbers; they need our help to reduce their numbers until there are good homes for them all.Sterilization of your cat or dog will increase his/her chance of a longer and healthier life. Altering your canine friend will increase his life an average of 1 to 3 years, felines, 3 to 5 years. Altered animals have a very low to no risk of mammary gland tumors/cancer, prostate cancer, perianal tumors, pyometria, and uterine, ovarian and testicular cancers.Sterilizing your cat/dog makes him/her a better pet, reducing his/her urge to roam and decreasing the risk of contracting diseases or getting hurt as they roam. Surveys indicate that as many as 85% of dogs hit by cars are unaltered. Intact male cats living outside have been shown to live on average less than two years. Feline Immunodeficiency Syndrome is spread by bites and intact cats fight a great deal more than altered cats.Additional Benefits:Your community will also benefit. Unwanted animals are becoming a very real concern in many places. Stray animals can easily become a public nuisance, soiling parks and streets, ruining shrubbery, frightening children and elderly people, creating noise and other disturbances, causing automobile accidents, and sometimes even killing livestock or other pets.The capture, impoundment and eventual destruction of unwanted animals costs taxpayers and private humanitarian agencies over a billion dollars each year. As a potential source of rabies and other less serious diseases, they can be a public health hazard.

• spay: no pups, lessens the risk of cancer, and make training somewhat easier, and no more humping. neuter: well, lessens aggression, takes away all risks for testicular cancer, no more humping and i forget what else :) i wanna see that article when its done judgerz :)

• Thousand and thousand of dogs lose their live each year because there aren't enough homes who want them and enough space in shelters to keep them. And it will always be so, as long as we keep breeding dogs casually.Breeding dogs is a serious undertaking that should only be part of a well-planned programme. Why? Because dogs pass on their physical and behavioural problems to their offspring. Even healthy well-behaved dogs can pass on genetic problems.It's a common misconception that mutts are are free from genetic defects that plague their pure-bred cousins. Yes, the larger the gene pool, the less chance of that two mutants genes will randomly collide. But the fact is that mutts get all the diseases pure bred dogs get.Is your dog so sweet that you'd like to have a litter of puppies just like her? If only it were that easy! But if you breed her to another dog, the pups will not have the same genetic heritage as she has.When you spay your female:>You avoid her heat cycles, during which she discharges blood and scent >You greatly reduce her risk of developing mammary caner and eliminate the risk of pyometra and uterine caner>You prevent unwanted pregnanciesWhen you neuter your male:>You curb his desire to roam free and to fight with other males>You greatly reduce his risk of developing prostate cancer and eliminate the risk of testicular cancer>You reduce his leg lifting and mounting behaviour.Good Luck Judgerz!!

• Considering y ou must be pretty knowledgeable l am sure any answer will only re-enforce what you have learned.It is quite obvious.We have so many dogs and cats and the only way to limit over population is de-sexing.Not every dog should be bred from and this is something backyard breeders,puppy mills etc do not realize and in fact negligent registereed breeders do not take notice of this also..A lot of people will tell you it prevents agression etc not so.Certain breeds and we only have a few are by their breeding a fighting breed and even de-sexing will never prevent this behaviour although it does help not perpetuating this.Sure de-sexing prevents a females cycle and this is wonderful as you do not have to watch out for every male dog in your immediate area and as for males it certainly decreases the yen to wander to find their love object.l do not advocate de-sexing at an early age as it can have certain repurcussions in certain breeds whether they grow too big too small etc.l firmly believe in de-sexing at around 6-7 monthe depending on the breed and in fact some breeders give you some money back if you do this,some do not and others even de-sex before the puppy leaves home.The fallacy people seem to be under is that it stops agression and l cannot understand this as if you do not raise you puppy correctly you will have severe problems.No country can legislate for mandatory de-sexing BUT councils will register conpanion dogs at a cheaper rate if neutered or speyed.l have to laugh when men are told their wonderful strong and health plus virile put-bull should be de-sexed they take it as a personal insult.It is a dog not a human and should be treated as such.Ultimately the crux of this issue is too many unwanted puppies ending up in shelters and the statistics of how many puppies,cats,kittens dogs put down should be looked at if you are doing any research.l could give you the statisstics for my country quite easily but l may not be in yours.There are only so many homes avail for these unwanted pets cute as pups and too difficult to manage both econimacally amd envoropmentally.How many people can really afford to feed a pet dog properly and l am not talking a can of food a day as a dog needs an all round diet.People are struggling with their own grocery bills let alone a dogs feeding habits.There is absolutely no evidence that l can find that suggests a male dog is quieter if desexed,get some statistics if you believe this as yes it helps but not necessarily foolproof.Hopee this helps in some way.

• I'm having my baby neutered next week, he'll be 6 mos. old.I worry about him running aff and I know by neutering him he will not stray as easily.The only thing I haven't seen mentioned here, amongst all the truly informative answers is you save money on licensing, you get a discount on the dog license, as a senior citizen a few dollars saved here and there are important. I can buy him a new toy with the money I save.

• The most obvious is the prevention of unwanted puppies. However, be aware that there are also potential negative effects on health, particularly if the procedure is done on very young dogs. Neutering, which includes spaying for females and castration for males, should be done only after careful consideration of many factors, IMO.Just FYI, I've included a link below that you might find of interest.