I have a male dog that marks his territory in the house. We have a female too. How do i stop this?

Ever since we got the female it has gotten worse. I never see him do it, but i find it. He knows he isnt supposed to because he goes and hides as soon as he sees me find it. I have tried everything. Also, it is never in the same spot.

I have a male dog that marks his territory in the house. We have a female too. How do i stop this?

Ever since we got the female it has gotten worse. I never see him do it, but i find it. He knows he isnt supposed to because he goes and hides as soon as he sees me find it. I have tried everything. Also, it is never in the same spot....
    General Dog Discussions : I have a male dog that marks his territory in the house. We have a female too. How do i stop this?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I have a male dog that marks his territory in the house. We have a female too. How do i stop this?

I have a male dog that marks his territory in the house. We have a female too. How do i stop this? General Dog Discussions
      Ever since we got the female it has gotten worse. I never see him do it, but i find it. He knows he isnt supposed to because he goes and hides as soon as he sees me find it. I have tried everything. Also, it is never in the same spot.

I have a male dog that marks his territory in the house. We have a female too. How do i stop this? General Dog Discussions
    • If you are having problems with your male marking in the house, you will need to toughen up on the rules a bit. He thinks he is in charge, and/or, is trying to show you he wants to be in charge.Although neutering him may lessen his desire to mark your house, it will not solve the problem. If you do not intend to use him to breed, having him neutered is best for his health, reducing the incidence of many cancers and prostate problems.If you are not "catching" him do it, and they can be quite crafty, you will have to start crating him when you cannot watch him, until you have this problem solved. When you are able to be with him, and watch him closely, train him just like you would a puppy. If you catch him going, stop him, tell him "no" and take him outside. Then make sure to clean the area with a good cleaner to reduce the smell.If the female is intact, that will again, increase his desire to mark the home, but, even without her, he may have done it, because he is trying to be the boss.If you would like some more info on pack hierarchy, and how to teach your dog that you are the leader of the pack, I would suggest asking that question as well!Good Luck!

• My daughter has 1 male and 1 female dog she had the same problem. Even if you did not have the female, male dogs are known for marking their territory. I would contact your Vet. My daughter has to keep a gate up and keep them in one room. Ask your Vet.

• i had the EXACT same problem with my yorkie. (i only have one male dog) i tried everything i could think of...special chemicals to discourage this behavior, training classes, advice of seasoned pet owners, i even spoke to my vet. almost everyone agreed that the best way to stop this was to have him neutered. that was the hardest decision i've made about him, but it was also the best one. he still raises his leg occasionally when he goes outside, but he hasn't marked inside my house once in the 6 months since his surgery. also, the rumors that i heard about neutered dogs (they get lazy and fat), i've not found to be true. hope this helps :)

• Good luck with this one!I had my pomeranian neutered at 5 months old, before he started spraying or anything. He picked up the habit from my mom's male dog and now, as he feels as though he's the protector of the house and our two female dogs, he sprays all the time.How to stop it? If your dog is like mine, yelling doesn't work, nothing really does. The best advice I can give you is to keep coats and blankets out of his reach and wash your curtains regularly!They are little stinkers!