What are the benefits and downsides of having my dog neutered? aka nuts removed?

Would his personality change? Will he become more mellow? etc. Any comments would be appreciated!~

What are the benefits and downsides of having my dog neutered? aka nuts removed?

Would his personality change? Will he become more mellow? etc. Any comments would be appreciated!~...
    General Dog Discussions : What are the benefits and downsides of having my dog neutered? aka nuts removed?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What are the benefits and downsides of having my dog neutered? aka nuts removed?

What are the benefits and downsides of having my dog neutered? aka nuts removed? General Dog Discussions
      Would his personality change? Will he become more mellow? etc. Any comments would be appreciated!~

What are the benefits and downsides of having my dog neutered? aka nuts removed? General Dog Discussions
    • He will not scream and tear madly at the walls/doors whenever he smells a female in season, he will not try to hump everything that comes in the door, he will have a decreased risk of getting testicular cancer, he will not roam as much and try to get loose.Wait, you said downsides? Can't think of any!

• Pro's:Eliminate his risk of testicular cancerEliminates the risk of developing ProstatitusEliminates the risk of hyperplasia of the ProstatePrevents certain types of hernias and tumorsCuts down the risk drastically of developing Prostate CancerCurves aggression from hormonesStops him from trying to get to a b*tch in heat (intact male dogs have been known to break through windows to get to female dogs in season!)Stops (or curves) inappropriate territory markingNeutered dogs live happier, healthier, and longer livesCon's:In my opinion, none.

• Pros: will not try to hump other dogs, will not run away to find other dogs, will not produce unwanted puppies that will need to be euthanized, will spray less (i.e. won't urinate on your furniture), reduced risk of certain cancers, reduce dominance and aggressivenessCons: ?

• I have seen many animals before and after neutering and there is no difference. They don't act different, they don't gain weight, and they don't care. It's better for their health and they won't go mad trying to get to a female in heat.It's totally worth it!

• the good thins is that your be calm because you wont have trouble with the babies and dog runaways..:) mine does that a lot but he always come back...the bad thing is that he has needs like we only they dont care whats going to happen after :)anyways i dont recommend that because you wouldnt do that you yourself????

• The benefits: Not as many dogs end up in shelters because he fathered them. He will not hump. He will not roam.The downsides: THERE AREN'T ANY! :)PLEASE neuter him! I'm begging you! =D

• I think we know what neutered means... How much the dog changes will depend a lot on his age. If he's 6 months old bad habits associated with being intact will not develop. If he's older habits such as roaming, mounting, etc will decrease but may not dissapear altogether. He won't sire a litter of pups, that is the biggest benefit.

• The benefits are that you will prevent him from developing prostate cancer when he's older. If he's a hyper dog then it will calm him down a bit. Not drasticially though, so no worries with that. It will stop him from wanting to "mark" his territory, prevent less fights with other male dogs, and he wont ever want to "go out searching" when he knows other female dogs are in heat. Overall its an excellent choice to make. Not only are you saving his life, but your helping to prevent unwanted pups who could end up neglected, abandoned, etc.

• Benefits: 1. No puppies filling up shelters, or getting killed at birth. 2. No neighbors screaming at you because they just found out that their unspayed female is pregnant by your male.Downsides: ?

• You shouldnt see to much of a difference in his personality. Probably abit more mellow because of the whole testosterone thing, but nothing to drastic. Hes less likely to "mark" things. Less likely to wander off to find that female dog whos somewhere in heat 2 miles away. It's a good thing to have done, and because hes a male its ALOT less invasive (some males my not say so, but we arnt removing their parts, although with some I think it would be a good idea.) and its alot less expensive then having a female spayed too.

• Just FYI it wont stop your dog from humping (as many posters have said). I have 2 nuetered dogs - 1 2yr old choc lab and 1 5 year old chihuahua - both continue to hump stuffed animals and blankets at time. It may cut down on this behavior but it doesn't cut it out totally. I still recomend it though!!

• There aren't any downsides to having a male dog neutered! Unless he is a show champion and has a great temperament and has an obedience title could make a wonderful stud to improve the breed.But I'm guessing if you're the average person, your dog is not those things.The benefits are many:-decreased cancer-decreased desire to roam and find a female in heat-decreased marking behavior-decreased aggression toward other male dogs.The biggest benefit, in my opinion, is that he won't be fathering unplanned litters.The main purpose in life for an unneutered dog is SEX. The main purpose in life for a neutered dog is...well...his owner.