What are the pros and cons of getting my male boxer fixed?

any info please... he is 12 weeks old... should i get him fixed or not? and why or why not?

any info please... he is 12 weeks old... should i get him fixed or not? and why or why not?...
    General Dog Discussions : What are the pros and cons of getting my male boxer fixed?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What are the pros and cons of getting my male boxer fixed?

What are the pros and cons of getting my male boxer fixed? General Dog Discussions
      any info please... he is 12 weeks old... should i get him fixed or not? and why or why not?

What are the pros and cons of getting my male boxer fixed? General Dog Discussions
    • get him fixed.... he won't try to run away from home to have sex with all those female dogs in heat...plus if he isn't fixed it could lead to unwanted puppies that go to the pound , etc.....plus he will be just as active and protective of you as he would if not neutered.....

• if you do he won't feel compelled to check out the other little chick dog down the way. he won't pee everywhere for the sake of scenting your house to match his desire. less humping urges. The calm down when they should if you do, as an adult. Some cancers are prevented when fixed too. Ask a vet

• PRO he will stay at home better, and won;t run off at every opportunity..................con...you can't get a female and have puppies for sale you wind up having to give away [ well not exactly a con]

• PROS- It's will calm him down, making him more manageable- he won't runaway from you whenever he smells a female dog in heat- it decreases the risk of testicular cancer- he won't be so aggressive to other male dogs and they won't treat him as a threat so much- the vet will be able to ensure his testicles have descended properly (if they haven't, it can cause major problems)CONS- he can't sire puppies.Unless you're going to breed him, I'd get it done. I'd wait until he was about four to six months old though because doing it too early can cause urinary problems.

• Please get him fixed.Neutering helps your animal live a longer healthier lifeNeutering eliminates the chances of your pet getting testicular cancer and greatly reduces the chances of contracting prostate diseaseIt decreases their chance of biting It stops them from roaming the neighborhoodMillions of animals are put down each year because people don't spay and neuter their pets, and 1 out of 4 animals in a shelter is a pure breed...so don't assume that because your dog is a pure breed that someone will keep the pupsI really don't see any cons to having it done, it is a myth that it will make him fat and lazy...or feel like a girl dog...Please be a responsible pet owner and help your pet, it will cost you very little to get him fixed compared to how expensive the health problems a non nuetered animal can face.

• Absolutely -get all pets fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!--thousands of pets, mutts as well as pure breds, are executed every day at city and county pounds. The main cause of pet deaths is unwanted puppies and kittens sired by pets that have not been fixed. Please fix your pet. Tell all your friends that want a pet -to adopt one from the pound, and never,ever buy a pet from a breeder-never, never, never. Pet breeders are the # 2 problem-don't support them.

• Pros:1. Prevents prostate & testicular cancer.2. Will not stimulate aggression (most of the time) when a female dog is in heat.3. In most cases doesn't drive the dog to wander around, keeps them home, because he couldn't care less if a dog down the street is in heat.4. Usually helps promote peace, not as much drive to asert their dominance on other dogs or people.4. Most neutered dogs will not mark everything constantly, esp. if you neuter them before they start marking.Cons:1. The anestheisa has some risks, including death, but if your dog is healthy the odds are in his favor.2. The inscion site may become infected, pursed or reopen, but if you keep an eye on it, you can catch it before it becomes a problem.3. Some people say it makes their dogs fat, but with proper nutrition and exercise that will prevent that.I think its a really good idea, you will never have to worry about dealing with your neighbor comming over talking about an unwanted litter because your dog jumped the fence and hooked up. You'll not have to worry about your dog attacking other dogs in their own yard and people because of his frustration about the dog in heat he can't get to. It happened to me, and I had a 200.00 vet bill to sew my dog up, who was just peeing in his own yard and the male dog waiting around the fence of my neighbors dog who was in heat, came tearing down through my yard and attacked him. When I went down there he tried to bite me too, where I grabbed the closest stick and beat him until he was out of my yard and back to his house. I called animal controll to report it, where they wrote it up, and made the owner of the dog pay for the vet. By our local law, they were obligated to pay it for violating the leash law and allowing their dog to roam, where he attacked my dog in his own property...... Sometimes in some states you can get sued or taken to courty where they will remove your pet for this act of aggression on people and other animals. Any way, you will not have to worry about that (so much) if he's neutered.Yeah I would get it done. Both my dogs are neutered and spayed. They are both healthy and fantastic.

• ok PROS- 1.) he willl not try and leave your house to look for females. 2.) you will reduce his chance of getting testicular and prostate cancer by great numbers. 3.) he will be less aggressive and more tolerable towards other dogs. 4.) he will NOT inpregnate a female and produce unwanted puppies. (400,000 unwanted animals are euthanized every year) 5.) its very quick and easy procedure. The make two small incisions and "pop" out the testicles. They tie off the vas deferens and make a quick snip and its all done. Males dogs are home the same night and do not usually require suture removal. CONS 1.) You should only keep him un-neutered if you are a reputable breeder of boxers. 2.) you have to reduce your dogs diet because the testosterone is not running through his system and will slow his metabolism. He WILL get fat if you don't cut his food back.

• He will be healthier. I had a llhasa and he got tumors around his anus. The vet said it was because he had not been neutered. So, I had him neutered and the tumors went away. But, sometimes they turn cancerous. Dogs and cats have many problems when they are not neutered. If there is a female in heat within twenty miles your animal will know it and go to extremes to try to get out. Then, if they do, they may never come back. If you want your animal to stay healthy and live longer, have him neutered. We sometimes think like humans when our pets need to be neutered, but the animals could not care less if they are neutered or not. They can not make decisions on there own, so we have to think for them.

• get him fixed if you dont want your boxer getting some other girl dog pregnant when your back is turned, and you will have the owner saying "pay this medical bill because its you fault". do not get him fixed if you dont have the money to do it, or you want to breed.