I want to protect my bernese puppy with Vet insurance, what is the best kind?

I want to make sure I don't have to worry about the money when taking him to the vet he's only 8 weeks right now.

I want to make sure I don't have to worry about the money when taking him to the vet he's only 8 weeks right now....
    General Dog Discussions : I want to protect my bernese puppy with Vet insurance, what is the best kind?...

• I want to protect my bernese puppy with Vet insurance, what is the best kind?

I want to protect my bernese puppy with Vet insurance, what is the best kind? General Dog Discussions
      I want to make sure I don't have to worry about the money when taking him to the vet he's only 8 weeks right now.

I want to protect my bernese puppy with Vet insurance, what is the best kind? General Dog Discussions
    • I don't have pet insurance because I manage a vet clinic and get practically free vet care, but if I did, I would go with Purina Care. They have been good for some of our best clients.

• Check with your local vets and see what they accept. VPI is a good one. Most have several levels of coverage so you can choose monthly premium payments and amount of reimbursement you will get for certain procedures. I recommend the best coverage for the first year. That is when you will have the biggest maintenance expenses. Shots, spay/neuter, puppy wellness, all of those things. After than you may choose to only cover for emergencies/surgeries. Read the fine print and know what you are buying before you sign up.

• Check with all the insurance companies for a price quote. Then open up a savings account and put what you would have paid the insurance companies into it. This way it draws interest instead of you giving it to the insurance companies.This was the advice of a local newspaper. They said that if you only use the money for vet bills, you will have money left over after the dog is no longer with you.

• I'd recommend to start at petinsurancereview.com to learn a little bit about how customers rate pet insurance companies.Some things to look for in a pet insurance company:- Watch out for benefits schedules which are set limits for how much they will pay for certain procedures. This is not true insurance, but more of a discount plan anyway. - Watch out if a company resets your policy each year. If your pup gets sick one year and it's covered, the next year it will be considered "preexisting" thus not covered, because it happened during the previous term. Not fair in my opinion...- Be sure you understand the limits - per claim, per year, per condition, etc.- Routine care: shots, check-ups etc. can be covered by the insurance, but the price is essentially the same (a little more expensive) to go through the insurance because they just charge you more on the monthly premiums. My recommendation is to take care of those expenses on your own.I have my dog insured with Trupanion and I really like them because they cover 90% of the actual bill, no benefits schedules. They don't have claim limits or annual limits or limits per condition, just a lifetime limit. They also don't reset your policy each year so any condition that your pup gets is covered for life.Plus they have hip displaysia coverage, which would be good for your bernese. I'm glad you're looking into pet insurance while your dog is a puppy! It seems like puppies are the most prone to accidents and illnesses because they are always getting into all kinds of trouble!Good luck!