can a year old pit bull and a 8weeks old pit bull get along?

ok ... i have a boy bit bull for about a year and i just decided to get a new 8 week old girl pit bull to join the family. well the year old wont stop "nipping" and trying to "get-it-on" with her. how do i get him to stop and just be chill around the…

ok ... i have a boy bit bull for about a year and i just decided to get a new 8 week old girl pit bull to join the family. well the year old wont stop "nipping" and trying to "get-it-on" with her. how do i get him to stop and just be chill around the…...
    General Dog Discussions : can a year old pit bull and a 8weeks old pit bull get along?...

• can a year old pit bull and a 8weeks old pit bull get along?

can a year old pit bull and a 8weeks old pit bull get along? General Dog Discussions
      ok ... i have a boy bit bull for about a year and i just decided to get a new 8 week old girl pit bull to join the family. well the year old wont stop "nipping" and trying to "get-it-on" with her. how do i get him to stop and just be chill around the girl dog like he normally is?

can a year old pit bull and a 8weeks old pit bull get along? General Dog Discussions
    • Is your male neutered? It's really important that he is. Pit bull type dogs are suffering from massive overpopulation at the moment. Also, hormones are a huge factor in inciting aggressive behavior (the main reason why unfixed animals aren't allowed in dog parks). Additionally, leaving a dog unfixed leaves them susceptible to prostate/mammary cancer in their later years so you'll be adding years onto your pup's life and enhancing its quality if you do so. However, if he is neutered, chances are he is trying to establish his place in the pecking order. Dogs will naturally try to do this but the human shouldn't allow it (because only the humans should be in a position of authority in the home). This is especially important with terriers as they are predisposed to being feisty with other animals. Is your male getting an appropriate amount of exercise (mentally and physically) every day? Every dog needs at least 45 minutes to an hour walk each day. My pit mix needs 4 miles a day plus regular treadmill sessions. Pit bulls are highly intelligent and strong, so they need to be constantly challenged. Because the pup is too young to be spayed yet (she can be around 6 months), you're going to have to do interference to make sure that the male doesn't overwhelm her. Constant bullying may provoke a reaction from the pup when she grows up (and nothing is less fun than breaking up a fight between pit bulls). Remember, having a pit bull comes with the added responsibility of disproving negative stereotypes about the breed type. Your dog is going to have to be more obedient and well mannered than other breeds because of this. It's up to responsible owners to educate through example.p.s.: I would supervise any and all interaction between the two dogs, correcting unwanted behavior. Crate train the puppy (really, it's the best for all parties involved).

• the only thing that will calm him down is time and him getting used to her being there but he wont ever stop trying to "get-it-on" with her until she is old enough to make him. i suggest you find a friend to watch one of the two dogs when she goes into her first heat because he will not leave her alone for a second while she is in heat and it is not good for the female to have puppies during her first heat as she is not fully developed all the way. the "nipping" is normal. and will get worse when she is grown as she will "nip" back

• I 'm sorry but they adult dog and the pup should only have limited and supervised interaction. He's also not trying to "get it on", he showing dominance over an 8 week old pup. Now that you brought an pup into the home, things are going to change for a while.For her safety, keep them separeted until she is old enough that she doesn't look like prey.