Is it worth it to Get my dog neutered?

My dog is bout 11 yrs old and vet says hes in good enough health to get the surgery. Would my dog still benefit from it at his age.

My dog is bout 11 yrs old and vet says hes in good enough health to get the surgery. Would my dog still benefit from it at his age....
    General Dog Discussions : Is it worth it to Get my dog neutered?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Is it worth it to Get my dog neutered?

Is it worth it to Get my dog neutered? General Dog Discussions
      My dog is bout 11 yrs old and vet says hes in good enough health to get the surgery. Would my dog still benefit from it at his age.

Is it worth it to Get my dog neutered? General Dog Discussions
    • what would be the point, unless he has testicular cancer...Personally I think it would be putting him through an unnecessary surgery, as a senior.If you are capable of preventing him from breeding, I wouldn't do it.

• I recommend getting it done while your dog is still relatively young. I am in a similar dilemma with my dog, but my dog is 20 years old, so his condition is a bit more risky. If he had been castrated earlier he wouldnt have gotten anal gland tumors. Castration brings many health benefits for older dogs, like preventing hormonal tumors, aggression, sex drive.

• It is always good to get your dog neutered but he is already 11 years old and if he has no health issues you may just want to stay intact. But he can still be at risk for prostate cancer etc. if he is not neutered.

• What's the breed. Some breeds only live to 11 and others to 16.I wouldn't bother at this stage, he is probably unable to breed anyone (but don't count on that).Complications from the simple operation will be greater at his age.If you are having trouble boarding him in kennels, then maybe go for it, or if the vet thinks you should do it because of potential prostate cancer, but otherwise you've left it a bit too late.