A co-worker found six black lab puppies and needs to give them away. I want one. How do I care for a dog?

I have always been kind of afraid of dogs, but I do like the family dogs like labs and retrievers. My husband has been wanting a dog so maybe this is his chance. I am just a little confused as to what I would need to do to take care of the dog. We…

A co-worker found six black lab puppies and needs to give them away. I want one. How do I care for a dog?

I have always been kind of afraid of dogs, but I do like the family dogs like labs and retrievers. My husband has been wanting a dog so maybe this is his chance. I am just a little confused as to what I would need to do to take care of the dog. We…...
    General Dog Discussions : A co-worker found six black lab puppies and needs to give them away. I want one. How do I care for a dog?...

• A co-worker found six black lab puppies and needs to give them away. I want one. How do I care for a dog?

A co-worker found six black lab puppies and needs to give them away. I want one. How do I care for a dog? General Dog Discussions
      I have always been kind of afraid of dogs, but I do like the family dogs like labs and retrievers. My husband has been wanting a dog so maybe this is his chance. I am just a little confused as to what I would need to do to take care of the dog. We have never owned a pet so we are kind of uneducated.1) What all would I have to buy in order to bring the puppy home?2) Where should I keep the dog while we are at work. We are gone for 10 hours per day. We live in a house and have a backyard. I don’t like animals in the house, so would it be cruel to leave the dog outside? 3) I am assuming they have to go to the Vet just like we go to the doctor. Are regular check-ups expensive? What about having them checked for fleas, cutting their nails, brushing their teeth, etc.? I just don’t see myself putting a dog in my bathtub.4) What about when we’re gone for extended periods of time on the weekends? Will the dog be okay?On question number 2, I mean is it okay to leave the dog outside in a dog house of course. Not on a chain and left for dead.

A co-worker found six black lab puppies and needs to give them away. I want one. How do I care for a dog? General Dog Discussions
    • Based on what you have said, I'm sorry, but I don't think it would be right for you to take the dog. First of all, dogs are very social animals, needing people and a lot of affection. You state you don't like dogs in the house.It is very expensive to keep a dog, especially the larger ones. There's food and routine medications for flea and heartworm, toys and bones, a crate, at least a once a year vet check up and shots.dogs cannot be left for days without someone to take care of them, so you would also need to either board them or have a pet sitter come in if you are gone for more than a day.Dogs are a lot of responsibility, and from what you are saying, I don't know that you have decided you are ready to commit.

• Yeah, you realy shouldnt be leaving a puppy outside all day.. and Im wondering, if you dont want a dog in the house.. why do you want him?He realy should be crate trained, and indoors.. where it is warm and he wont whine and howl and upset the neighbors.Personaly, I realy think its ALOT easier for people who have someone home during the day to train the puppy. They need someone to take them outside to do their business.Btw, owning a dog is a HUGE expense, especially a puppy. But the love they give you back is well worth the money spent.

• Congratulations on your adoption! okay, here is what you need:1) yes, vet visits can be expensive. However, they do have insurance for pets. I don't use it, but it is there. You will need to get the pup's vaccinations done. Usually 3 visits are done for the first year, and an annual is all needed after that, unless they get sick. spay/neuter is a good thing!2) you will need: puppy food, water and food dishes, a dog bed, brush, shampoo, chew toys (unless you don't mind sacrificing your work shoes, slippers, etc), to start with, and yes, they will trim the nails, or show you how, and give you info on other things to address your pup's needs3) sign up for obedience class NOW! This will help you so much more in the long run, and help you to understand your new family member a whole lot more! trust me!4)the backyard is a good place, however, I suggest a kennel with a run attached to it, so your pup has enough space to stretch and play. you can find this in petco, or other pet stores. However, try to walk your pup daily, to exercise and keep him/her healthy. (* Also, you should know that if you have winter where you are, please find a warm dry place indoors where your pup can rest and you should consider bringing them in at night, to be with you. Dogs need companionship, they are pack animals, and so socializing is a good thing. It's torture for them if you are gone 10 hours a day, and you do not acknowledge them when you come home.)minimum: 45 min daily, good for both of you to do! Also, they have doggy day care available nowadays in most places, should you need it. but be picky, just like for a child, you wouldn't just leave your baby with just anyone, would you? check credentials, and environment for safety, and watch/observe how they handle other dogs/pups. 5) If you need to leave for extended periods of time, esp weekends, please do not leave the pup alone. it's like leaving a baby alone. either find a certified kennel that will house your pup, or find a sitter or someone willing to watch them for that period of time. I do suggest also, visiting cesar milan's website for other tips and suggestions to help with your pup. Once you sign up for obedience class, also check out other activities to do with your pup such as: dog parks, agility classes, speed ball competition, etc. a dog is a wonderful pet, companion, and friend. A source of unconditional love, understanding, loyalty and friendship that you are very lucky to have. Please care for this new found friend, and they will care for you as long as they live.....

• A dog is a big commitment, it should be one you are willing to make for the dogs whole life. I have a dog that I got when she was 8 weeks old. I crate trained her which made house training easier. If you plan on leaving the dog outside all the time, I would suggest maybe getting two so they aren't lonely all by themselves. I personally don't like dogs being kept outside all the time but I think I am outnumbered on that one. The initial shots aren't incredibly expensive, my vet charged $16 per shot. Its the spaying and neutering that is expensive but if you can't afford that, most animal shelters are willing to help with that. Remember, getting a dog shoud be a lifelong commitment and can't be taken lightly.

• 1.OK, all the stuff you would need for a dog is:BedBiscuitsBowlsBrushCage/crateCollarDoghouseFoodID tagsBedLeashToothbrushToothpaste (special dog toothpaste)A lot of Toys& A lot of money.2.I think if you’re going to be gone 10 hours a day you probably don't have time or energy for a dog. Dogs need a lot of attention to be fully happy. And you definitely can't leave a dog outside for 10 hours.3.And yes dogs need to go to vet to have check-ups. And they need shot each year. Different kinds. Like Rabies, worms and other random stuff. I don't think they really need to be checked for fleas as long as the dog isn’t scratching itself all the time. You definitely get it spayed/neutered. You can find cheap places that will cut dogs nails for a low as $5. And you have to make sure you get them done on a regular bases. I don't know how much grooming would be cause we do our dogs teeth, baths etc. Sorry.4.If you are gone for the weekend you will need to find somebody to watch the dog and feed it etc. Cause you can't just leave it all by itself over the weekend.Remember dogs are a lot of work and take a lot of time to take care of. You need to walk them everyday, make sure you are playing with and make sure they are getting a lot of social time with it. I think with your schedule you should probably reconsider getting a dog. I think you would love you're dog, but being gone for 10 hours a day, by the time you get home I think you would just want to go to bed and not have to worry about a dog and walking it and feeding it.

• I would not get this puppy just for the fact that you are gone 10 hours a day and that you do not like dogs in the house. Yes, the puppies need homes but they need GOOD ones with people who will have the time and pateince to train them and won't be offended by a little dirt of having a dog inside. The kind of life you can offer this dog does not seem fair to the dog for me. He will also likely develop behavior issues if he is kept outside and away from you for all those hours. Like digging, excessive barking, hard to potty train.. Just skip it please. It is better to have him go elsewhere then to get him now, have him totally ruined by lack of proper care in the crucial early stages of his life and then need to or want to re-home him in 6 months when he has learned all kinds of bad and unwanted behaviors. Will be MUCH harder to place him when he is older and a shelter would be almost certain death. Unless you can get dedicated and welcome a dog into your home and your lives and have him to truly be part of your family, then he is better off not going there.

• You don't want a dog, you just are infatuated with the idea because your co-worker found the puppies. Leave the dog alone for 10 hours a day? Why have the dog then? Leave the dog outside? Why have the dog then? Neither your lifestyle nor your training show any inclination towards good dog ownership. If you "loved" dogs so much, why haven't you gotten one before this?If I were you, I'd wait three days before jumping into something that is obviously an impulse on your part. If you still are so enamoured after three days, then fine! Get a book or consult a vet and find out what you need to know. But don't just do it because the puppies are 'cute.' These are living beings that have practical requirements: food, water, shelter and medical care. Are you willing to spend $$$ at the vet? What if your dog becomes ill? Puppies can get sick too you know, not just older dogs. Think of the last pet food recall: Owners had to rush their pets to the vet for hospitalization on IV drips (approx. 3 days = $1,000) and the pets still died. Can you afford that? Don't take this on if you are not realistic about what is needed. Can you clean up piles of pee and poop all over your house? (These are un-housebroken puppies, not older dogs) What about shoes being chewed on? Who will watch over the baby-dog (a puppy is still an infant) during the 10 hours you both are gone? You can leave an older dog to snooze in the sun, but not a puppy. What about howling and barking? Do you have neighbors that will complain? What about the puppies' cries during the night? Will you mind losing sleep every night for a week or two and cheerfully haul yourself into work for a 10-hour day until the pup becomes accustomed to his new home?And why get a dog if you "don't like animals in the house." Dogs are social/pack animals and need to be near their families. Ostracizing a dog outside all the time would be cruel.If you truly want a dog, may I suggest starting with a mature, family-wise dog and not a puppy. Your co-worker found the pups and she will have to find homes for them, or take them to a rescue organization. Don't take this on just to appear helpful -- this is a lifetime commitment you will be making.