Should I get my 4 lbs male dog neutered?

I have a 7 month old small chi and yorkie mix and I was wondering if I should get him neutered? My first dog was neutered and he was still aggressive and humped everything. I am starting to think it's super cruel. Advice please!

I have a 7 month old small chi and yorkie mix and I was wondering if I should get him neutered? My first dog was neutered and he was still aggressive and humped everything. I am starting to think it's super cruel. Advice please!...
    General Dog Discussions : Should I get my 4 lbs male dog neutered?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Should I get my 4 lbs male dog neutered?

Should I get my 4 lbs male dog neutered? General Dog Discussions
      I have a 7 month old small chi and yorkie mix and I was wondering if I should get him neutered? My first dog was neutered and he was still aggressive and humped everything. I am starting to think it's super cruel. Advice please!

Should I get my 4 lbs male dog neutered? General Dog Discussions
    • Honestly? Here's my take on things if you know you are 100% capable of keeping him mating then leave him intact. All the so called behavior issues neutering is supposed to "cure" are just that behavior issue which means if you want them fixed you need to train your dog. Both prostate and testicular cancer have very low rates of occurrence to begin with so medical reasons are a bust

• yes, as a mix, no reason to let breedneuter does nothing to male dog except stop puppies and running off to find female in heataggression and humping has to be trained to stopall dogs need training, exercise, socialization, grooming and vet care24/7 supervision with out in fenced yard

• If you get him neutered before he starts the male behavior there will be far less than if you don't neuter him.I am a firm believer that all PETS be spayed/neutered. If nothing else but for health reason & to stop the over population of dogs & cats.

• Aggression in your small dog had nothing to do with you having him neutered, and everything to do with how poorly he was trained and socialized.Trouble with small dogs is that owners tend to allow them to get away with bad behavior that isn't tolerated in larger breed dogs, they are treated more like accessories and not actual dogs therefore they are rarely disciplined and the begin to develop bad habits that their owners do not train out of them because oh he's so small it's cute.Cruel would be not netuering your dog, cruel would be him having his balls and you failing to get him mated every six months to release himself, cruel would be him developing testicular cancer at age 8, or turmors forming at age 10 and the vet telling you that only neutering will stop his turmors from coming back, cruel is putting a 10 year old dog under anesthesia.Neutering your pet is responsible pet ownership, it will make him less aggressive, HOWEVER you also have to train your dog and correct unwanted behaviors before they become a problem.neutering had nothing to do with your other dogs aggression.

• If you can be a responsible owner and ensure he will NEVER sire a litter, then there is no reason to. Many people are unable to manage this and so it's better for them to get their dogs altered. That being said, it is in no way "cruel". The dogs are under anesthesia and they dont miss their parts.

• Yes and no it's not "super cruel" as it will prevent him from wandering, help him live longer because it will prevent him from getting prostate cancer (like in humans) and help him calm down. It will not however prevent him from humping because he will still try to dominate (which most humping after neutering is) and training will help cut down on that too. Part of the reason that your first dog was probably (and I'm just guessing here so please don't get mad at me) is because he was not well trained or socialized and the humping was an act of domination. Here is a link that will tell you why it's so beneficial: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2112&aid=911

• First of all it's NOT cruel and it really depends at what age they are neutered as to their later behaviour like humping etc, your boy pup is the right age, most dogs will be sexually mature at about 8mths. if you want to keep him home & not wandering looking for a female in season and he will it's the way of nature,get him neutered NOW, people with female dogs are not very happy to havea male around their girls because they are too slack to get them de sexed, male dogs will wander for miles and risk being hit by cars, stolen and possibly badly hurt. please don't become one of the irresponsible dog owners who don't care howmany unwanted puppies are born. Hope this Helps!

• As mentioned, cruel is leaving him intact and frustrated because you deny him a chance to mate. Leaving him intact means desperate efforts to get loose when there is a female in season upwind. He could unexpectedly squeeze out between your legs and be gone never to return alive. If he made it to her area, a larger dog could make short work of a rival. Behavior changes from neutering vary, sometime nothing, and sometimes highly effective.

• I recommend neutering him to prevent unwanted pups. The majority of puppies not wanted end up on the street eating scraps in the garbage. I know you don't want that. So get him neutered. What you can do to keep from paying a big vet bill is rubber band his balls to stop circulation. But, it's up to you. It's just a little advice. Good Luck!!

• Aggression is natural in most dogs, even after they are neutered/spayed, it is YOUR job to train the dog, not hack off its balls and hope the problem is solved....I have an 8 1/2 month old intact German Shepherd, my brother drops off his dog for me to babysit regularly, he is also intact, and trust me, it can get pretty tense around here, but it is not aggression, it is dominance. The difference is that Draco (my GS) is perfectly fine with our other male and any other dog that is accepted into the property and is told to be nice to the new dog, but Quincy (my brothers dog) does not belong yet he still keeps coming and is a threat to Draco being the leader. Draco is 80 lbs and Quincy is 34 lbs so of course Quincy has not taken the lead, but neither of them will back down. They get into a million little fights, got into one bigger fight, but it was obvious Draco did not want to hurt him because he had all the chance to just snap Quincy's neck but he did not even put a scratch on him.I mention my dogs dominance problem because I'm trying to show you there is a difference, a dog can be dominant toward its owner or another dog, if your dog is just being dominant you have to put him in his place and show him who is the leader. Neutering could also help if it is actually dominance.If it is real aggression then you need to contact a behaviorist, all dogs are different so what worked for one dog may not work for yours.ADD: Trust me is right, you may want to get him neutered anyway to prevent puppies, but if you can keep your dog contained then that should not be a problem.Labman is wrong, even after dogs are altered they still attempt to mate, so either way you dog would be trying to get at females. Many experienced owners on here keep their dogs intact, some have both males and females and they keep them all contained and happy.From what I hear, getting a dog altered has its health risks, so that is my main reason for keeping my dog intact.ADD: People also say that when males get to be 7-8 months old and 'grow a pair' they are unmanageable, well, my dog is 8 1/2 months and has 'grown a pair' and is still manageable, even when there is another dominant intact male around he still obeys. On walks he does just fine, I am trying to teach him to walk by my side, which can be hard at the beginning of a walk when he's excited, but after a few minutes he calms down and all it takes is a little yank on the leash to get him to slow down to my side.