All dog owners: What do you think about the new vaccine protocol?

I am purchasing a Maltese puppy. When I receive him at 12 weeks old he will be UTD. I have been reading about the new vaccine protocol and would like to know which shots you think are necessary and why. Just in case Geographics make a difference in what…

I am purchasing a Maltese puppy. When I receive him at 12 weeks old he will be UTD. I have been reading about the new vaccine protocol and would like to know which shots you think are necessary and why. Just in case Geographics make a difference in what…...
    General Dog Discussions : All dog owners: What do you think about the new vaccine protocol?...

• All dog owners: What do you think about the new vaccine protocol?

All dog owners: What do you think about the new vaccine protocol? General Dog Discussions
      I am purchasing a Maltese puppy. When I receive him at 12 weeks old he will be UTD. I have been reading about the new vaccine protocol and would like to know which shots you think are necessary and why. Just in case Geographics make a difference in what shots he will need we live in Northern Virginia (suburb of DC) Thanks to everyone for your insight.Also, what are the different shots for? Can someone give me an example of a shot schedule for what you think my puppy would need and at what age?

All dog owners: What do you think about the new vaccine protocol? General Dog Discussions
    • We recommend vaccine protocols that are created specifically for each animal. Animals that are living indoors are less likely to need certain vaccines. Animals that have had repeated vaccines are less likely to need certain vaccines. ALL animals that have acute or chronic diseases should not be vaccinated. This includes animals with disorders such as food allergies, skin allergies, chronic bouts of diarrhea, chronic eye and ear infections, and any immune or autoimmune associated disorder.NOTE: While this schedule is the one I recommend, there is considerable controversy within this evolving field of vaccinology. Until we have more information, vaccine protocols will remain a matter of professional judgment and choice.General Vaccine Guidelines For All Animals:When possible, give individual vaccines, not combinations (some vaccines only come as combinations, and there is no option to give separately) Never give a vaccination while other procedures are being performed, such as dentistries, surgery, grooming and boarding (these situations are already creating stress to the immune system) Never vaccinate a sick animal, no matter how mild the illness Never vaccinate a pregnant animal Do not vaccinate at too young an age as they still have maternal immunity which prevents the vaccine from working

• I think the new protocol is a step in the right direction. I still think our pets are over vaccinated. IMHO giving the puppy shots and 1st year boosters should be fine for the life of the dog. I think bordetella is useless but required if your dog will be in daycare. Lepto is not necessary unless you live in an area where rodents will be drinking or going to the bathroom where your dog will be. However, by law we must give rabies. I believe most states have approved the 3 year use of the vaccine (it contains the same amount of serum as the 1yr but is legal for a 3 yr. period) and highly recommend only allowing your vet to give that one. This is something you really should discuss with your vet with regard to what illnesses are prevelant in your area and then research the pros and cons and make the decision you feel is best for your dog.

• I only give Core vaccines as puppy shots at 8, 12, and 16 weeks (rabies after 4 months). A booster is given one year from the last injection date and then every 3 years. I don't give any non-core vaccines, but some might be necessary in your area or for your dog like the bordatello if you board him. Find a vet that follows the new vaccine protocol and you will be able to trust if he wants to give noncore vaccines for your area. Beware, not all vets are following the new recommendations because it hurts their bottom line.I have been following the "new" vaccine protocol for many years and will continue to do so. For your puppy, I would recommend one more vaccine with parvo, distemper and adenovirus - 2 (no lepto, no corona) at 16 weeks, followed by the rabies vaccine at least 3 weeks later, and then repeat in one year, and then repeat every 3 years.The "lepto" portion of the vaccine has the highest reaction rate, especially with toy breeds. Also don't give the combo and rabies on the same day wait for at least 3 weeks to give the immune system time to recover. This is especially important with small breed dogs.http://www.dvmvac.com/CVacs1.shtml