Can i get my dog neutered if hes 9 years old?

If yes, the what is neutered? What does it do?

If yes, the what is neutered? What does it do?...
    General Dog Discussions : Can i get my dog neutered if hes 9 years old?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Can i get my dog neutered if hes 9 years old?

Can i get my dog neutered if hes 9 years old? General Dog Discussions
      If yes, the what is neutered? What does it do?

Can i get my dog neutered if hes 9 years old? General Dog Discussions
    • It is possible to neuter an older dog, and it will help prevent health problems as he continues to age. I recently neutered my 10 year-old male, and he came through it fine.Neutering is another word for castration, or removal of the testicles on the male animal. It prevents them from siring unwanted litters (a noble goal in itself), as well as preventing prostate problems and testicular cancer in the older male dog. In addition, it curbs their interest in chasing females in season, wandering from home, etc. There are some behaviors that neutering cannot stop if they have become ingrained habit, i.e. urine marking.Anesthesia is always a risk in an older dog, however your vet can examine the dog beforehand and determine if there are any problems that might present a higher risk. Your vet may also recommend some sort of "Senior Pre-Anesthetic Blood Panel", which simply checks liver and kidney function, etc. to make sure there are no health issues your dog has but isn't displaying outwardly.Neutering is always a good idea and, depending on the size of your dog, 9 years may not really be that "old".I'd discuss it with your vet and then go for it! It makes life so much easier for both you and your dog.

• Yes you can. They remove the testicles.Health Benefits of Neutering a Male Dog and Cat: Neutering removes the testicles, and so prevents testicular tumors. A dog who develops a testicular tumor must be treated, before the tumor spreads, by the only effective means-neutering. Especially prevalent in older dogs, testicular tumors are the second most common tumor in male dogs. Some dogs have one or two "undecided" testicles, which remain inside the body; these dogs have a particularly Hugh risk of testicular tumors. Although only a small percentage of testicular tumors are malignant, even non-cancerous ones can threaten a dog’s life. One type of non-malignant testicular tumor sometimes secretes the hormone estrogen at toxic levels that destroy the bone marrow’s ability to produce blood cells--a FATAL-outcome. If the lack of visible equipment is a concern, ask your veterinarian about "Neuticles" artificial implants that are now available to help owners feel better about neutering their dogs. Enlargement of the prostate gland affects over 60% of unneutered male dogs older than five years. Prostatic enlargement predisposes a dog to prostate and urinary track infections, which can make urinating difficult and painful. If infection leads to an abscess, the abscess must be surgically drained. Common consequences of the surgery, however, include incontinence, system wide infection, shock and death. Because prostatic enlargement is caused by the male hormone testosterone and testosterone is produced in the testicles, neutering acts as both preventive and cure. Tumors of the perianal glands (skin glands around the tail and anus) also develop in response to testosterone. The third most common tumor in male dogs, perianal tumors often bleed or become infected. Although perianal tumors can be surgically removed, they usually reoccur unless the dog is neutered. http://www.sebastiancountyhumanesociety.org/BenefitsSpayNeuter.htm