Should I get my 3 year old Chihuahua neutered?

I've heard about dogs dying from the anesthesia. I can not lose this little guy, he means the world to me. He is pretty healthy, about a foot long and six or seven pounds. Should I do it? I never got around to doing it before because it wasn't the law,…

I've heard about dogs dying from the anesthesia. I can not lose this little guy, he means the world to me. He is pretty healthy, about a foot long and six or seven pounds. Should I do it? I never got around to doing it before because it wasn't the law,…...
    General Dog Discussions : Should I get my 3 year old Chihuahua neutered?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Should I get my 3 year old Chihuahua neutered?

Should I get my 3 year old Chihuahua neutered? General Dog Discussions
      I've heard about dogs dying from the anesthesia. I can not lose this little guy, he means the world to me. He is pretty healthy, about a foot long and six or seven pounds. Should I do it? I never got around to doing it before because it wasn't the law, now it is here in Los Angeles.

Should I get my 3 year old Chihuahua neutered? General Dog Discussions
    • If it's the law then I guess you have no option? Sheesh.Obviously the smaller the dog the higher the risk, but modern anaesthetics are quite safer than they used to be and veterinary sirgeons are highy trained these days to use anaesthetics. Plus your dog is not having major surgery and will only be out for a short ime, so it will not be necessary for him to have a deep anaesthetic. #Try not to worry too much, I am sure he will be fine .

• well if its the law, you have to. you like the UK have some weird laws, but if it stops unwanted pups then its ok. your dog will be perfectly fine, its very rare a dog dies from this type of operation so put your mind at ease and get him done, it will also keep him relaxed after.

• If it's law you have no option...it'sa very straight forward operation and the most common ones vets do. Long term, it will be beter for his health and will cut the risk of him getting cancer.x

• It's rare for the dog to die due to complications of anesthesia, but it can happen. However, think of it this way, your dog will have less risk of testicular cancer and other issues. Also, licensing your dog will be cheaper in the long run, and if it's the law then you probably want to follow the law and not risk punishment.The decision is up to you, but here is my anecdotal evidence. I have owned growing up many animals (I'd say over 100) both cats and dogs and none have died when they were fixed. The risk is greater for him to get cancer then to die during surgery.

• I would do it before your caught breaking the law, plus it will be better and less stressful for him (having the drive that he's not allowed to use).Vets now what they are doing and its rear that a healthy, still young dog will die on the table.

• All anaesthetics involve some risk, but healthy animals dying under anaesthetic is very unusual; increasingly so as newer drugs are developed. The practice I work in has been here 35 years and never seen an animal die during a neuter op.However, dogs can die or at least suffer greatly from testicular tumours and prostate problems, both of which neutering prevents/greatly reduces!I always advise people to neuter their animals. The potential health benefits far outweigh the risks.Have a chat to your vet so you fully understand what is involved with the operation and the anaesthetic. Obviously they will check the dog over before operating to ensure he's healthy, they can also do blood tests to check his liver and kidney health (the organs the metabolise the anaesthetic). The more you understand what's going on the less your anxiety will be.Chalice

• My 6 month old Chihuahua got spayed yesterday. This morning, she is already playing with her toys in her crate and eating normally. They weigh the dog before the anesthesia ! Go to the Humane Society. They take good care of dogs in general !

• I work with many rescues including toy breeds and in over 20 yrs of neutering all dogs including 12 yr old and 7 week old pups we have only lost 2 dogs to anesthesia and one was a structural defect. It is very safe unless your vet is not good which some aren't and 6-7lbs is a big Chihuahua so he should be fine. Our local Chihuahua Rescue has many 2lbs Chis neutered w/o a problem. While any treatment carries risk, watch TV for drugs ads, it is a very safe procedure done by a competent vet.