Dog has hair loss and has red spots where fur was?

I dont know how to really explain it but my little brother was given a puppy from a friend and within 2 weeks the fur around his face was falling out and was getting red bumps. Like cuts around his face. I left on vacation to the beach for a week and…

I dont know how to really explain it but my little brother was given a puppy from a friend and within 2 weeks the fur around his face was falling out and was getting red bumps. Like cuts around his face. I left on vacation to the beach for a week and…...
    General Dog Discussions : Dog has hair loss and has red spots where fur was?...

• Dog has hair loss and has red spots where fur was?

Dog has hair loss and has red spots where fur was? General Dog Discussions
      I dont know how to really explain it but my little brother was given a puppy from a friend and within 2 weeks the fur around his face was falling out and was getting red bumps. Like cuts around his face. I left on vacation to the beach for a week and came back today to notice the dog has gotten worst and its spreading to his stomach and legs. I never see the dog scratching himself and is very playful. Before taking him to the vet tomorrow i just want some answers right now what could it be and maybe how to cure it. And could it have harm on human skin?

Dog has hair loss and has red spots where fur was? General Dog Discussions
    • Your brother's dog might have mange - a skin condition caused by parasitic mites that affects dogs and other canines like foxes. Symptoms include hair loss, poor coat and rash. Yes, take it to the vet. Some dogs can die from severe mange. But luckily, mange does not spread to humans. Or your dog may have an allergy which is causing the rash. Whatever it is, take it to the vet. You don't want your dog to die. Good luck, all the best for your brother's dog.

• I thought my dog had mange recently, but the vet did a scrape and said it was an allergic reaction instead. I just kept him clean and gave him steroids (I wasn't sure about giving an overweight dog steroids) and he was fine.