Will getting a 3 year old male dog fixed change his wonderful personality?

I have a male Havanese who is 3 yrs old. He has an over bite so from what I have been told not good for breeding. He has a wonderful sweet personality. I dont know if that will change if I get him fixed. He has never hooked up with a female but he will…

I have a male Havanese who is 3 yrs old. He has an over bite so from what I have been told not good for breeding. He has a wonderful sweet personality. I dont know if that will change if I get him fixed. He has never hooked up with a female but he will…...
    General Dog Discussions : Will getting a 3 year old male dog fixed change his wonderful personality?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Will getting a 3 year old male dog fixed change his wonderful personality?

Will getting a 3 year old male dog fixed change his wonderful personality? General Dog Discussions
      I have a male Havanese who is 3 yrs old. He has an over bite so from what I have been told not good for breeding. He has a wonderful sweet personality. I dont know if that will change if I get him fixed. He has never hooked up with a female but he will try to hump all dogs. I feel sorry for him when he is around other dogs. I have been told that it is healther for the dog to be fixed and also his humping will decrease, I just dont want his personality to change. Any advice?

Will getting a 3 year old male dog fixed change his wonderful personality? General Dog Discussions
    • an overbite is not genetic, my mother in law breed cavalier king charles spaniels and the one dog she had way back when had horrible teeth but produced lovely puppies. Will his mood change? Would you like me if i cut off your nuts??Honestly, they do tend to calm down a little if they are hyper, they don't mark their territory as much and there could be less humping. But each dog is different, so if you are planning on doing it just to fix a problem like that you could be wasting your money. I have two male adult dogs, show dogs, both are not neutered and they are fine.

• I had the same concern about my puppy. He is 7 months old male. I just fixed him abt 3 days ago, i thought his personality will change but he is still the cute and hyper little thing. when he came back the 2nd day i was soo concerned because he wasnt peeing and pooping on the wee wee pad. But today (day 3) he is my baby again, very good with teh pad. so i dont think there woudl b a change. if ne thing, he would b more calm.

• no it wont change his personality. it will however in time stop him being so randy. he wont have the same urge as he wont have the testosterone in him. he may or may not gain a little weight and having him castrated will prevent him getting testicular cancer.

• He will actually get alot better. More calm and more lovable. Getting a male dog fixed if not breeding him is the best option. And his humping will slow down and even stop. To help you can get him a big stuffed animal. Dogs love them. You will however need to watch his diet alittle more closely. Fixed dogs tend to gain weight. But I think you will be pleased with the outcome.

• having an animal spayed/neutered does not change their personality it only eliminates another unwanted litter being born. Neutering also reduces the chances of your dog contacting breast cancer, and yes dogs get it.

• Getting a male animal fixed sometimes makes them LESS aggressive and less prone to wander and mark spray in the house.Getting him fixed will not change his behavior in a negative way, but it is very likely that fixing him could save another dog's life. If you don't get him fixed and he impregnates a female dog those puppies might end up homeless. There is a HUGE problem with pet overpopulation in our country. So, please, do you part and fix your animals to prevent unwanted litters.

• His personality will not change at all. You will be helping to prevent him from prostate cancer in the future and making him a happier dog who isnt frustrated from not have a female. I STRONGLY reccomend having him neutered.