Will neutering a 4 year old sharpei dog make any difference in aggression toward people?

This dog was originally owned by a shut-in who never properly socialized it as a puppy and the dog suffers from severe separation anxiety, and sticks like glue to me, is very jealous of visitors, to the point I am afraid he might eventually bite someone.…

Will neutering a 4 year old sharpei dog make any difference in aggression toward people?

This dog was originally owned by a shut-in who never properly socialized it as a puppy and the dog suffers from severe separation anxiety, and sticks like glue to me, is very jealous of visitors, to the point I am afraid he might eventually bite someone.…...
    General Dog Discussions : Will neutering a 4 year old sharpei dog make any difference in aggression toward people?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Will neutering a 4 year old sharpei dog make any difference in aggression toward people?

Will neutering a 4 year old sharpei dog make any difference in aggression toward people? General Dog Discussions
      This dog was originally owned by a shut-in who never properly socialized it as a puppy and the dog suffers from severe separation anxiety, and sticks like glue to me, is very jealous of visitors, to the point I am afraid he might eventually bite someone. Everything I have read and been told by vets is that neutering will only reduce aggression toward other male dogs. If this is all it will do, then I dont feel I should put the dog through it. The dog has attacked other male dogs, regardless of size, and will attack a female who exhibits aggression.

Will neutering a 4 year old sharpei dog make any difference in aggression toward people? General Dog Discussions
    • It would probably be in the dog's best interest to get him neutered regardless of whether it would help in his agression towards people. If he is agressive towards male dogs, he will eventually get hurt when he picks on the wrong one. And maybe once he loses his agression towards other dogs, he will eventually calm down around other people as well.

• Funny that you have this question because my almost one year old Chinese Sharpei has agression problems. So my mom had him neutered on March 3rd. We're putting him in training classes after he heals so we hope that this works for him. As for the agressiion towards people, you can only hope for the best, but so far I've seen positive results with our chinese Sharpei, Emperor Li. Good luck!

• At 4 years old neutering will unlikely make much of a difference in your dog's behavior. It sounds like he needs behavior modification training for this. You should look into this before he actually bites somebody. I am sure with a good program he may do well. He still should be neutered regardless for health reasons. Dog that are not neutered are more prone to testicular and prostate cancer.

• I agree with needsmorelove. It may help with the behavior, but probably not. Shar Pei's, like Chows, can be aggresive. They were breed for dog fighting, and also used as guard dogs. They bond very tightly to one person, and some can not be rehomed because of that bond. Seek a professional trainer/behaviorist in your area. They can usually help to some extent. Good luck!