How many puppies can a german shepherd have?

my dog is giving birth and has two puppies already. whats the least she can have because its been almost 1 hour since the last one came out. how much longer do we have to wait.or is that all shes gonna have..she following asleep and her stomach is moving…

my dog is giving birth and has two puppies already. whats the least she can have because its been almost 1 hour since the last one came out. how much longer do we have to wait.or is that all shes gonna have..she following asleep and her stomach is moving…...
    General Dog Discussions : How many puppies can a german shepherd have?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How many puppies can a german shepherd have?

How many puppies can a german shepherd have? General Dog Discussions
      my dog is giving birth and has two puppies already. whats the least she can have because its been almost 1 hour since the last one came out. how much longer do we have to wait.or is that all shes gonna have..she following asleep and her stomach is moving fast

How many puppies can a german shepherd have? General Dog Discussions
    • It sounds like she might be in distress and that you need to call the ER vet. 2 puppies is not normal for a GSD. My aunts GSD once had 13. After 1 hour and no more puppies, my guess if you don't get her medical help you will most likely loss her. Something is wrong. Are you sure is is asleep and not unconscious.

• Any dog may have a single puppy and a large breed like a German Shepherd Dog could easily have 6,7, even up to 15 or more pups depending on various factors.A GOOD breeder (i.e. one who knew beans about what they were doing and cared about the health and welfare of mom and pups) would have taken mum to the vet and had an x-ray, ultra-sound, or palpitation performed to get a head count and know how many pups to expect.There is a good chance that there are more puppies, and if she has "fallen asleep" while still have contractions I would be VERY concerned - how much blood has she lost? Has she been straining at all? Did an afterbirth emerge after each puppy? Has she let her milk down and is she showing interest in her pups?My recommendation is a call to the vet ASAP... to wait any longer without knowing the signs of trouble has a high chance in resulting in her death or the death of some or all of her pups.Please spay her after she weans this litter and wait until you have a better support system and knowledge base than a random internet forum before you breed again.