Why is it bad to give a dog chocolate?

They say it is toxic but I have always gave my dog an M&M or a cookie now and then and nothing bad has ever happened.

They say it is toxic but I have always gave my dog an M&M or a cookie now and then and nothing bad has ever happened....
    General Dog Discussions : Why is it bad to give a dog chocolate?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Why is it bad to give a dog chocolate?

Why is it bad to give a dog chocolate? General Dog Discussions
      They say it is toxic but I have always gave my dog an M&M or a cookie now and then and nothing bad has ever happened.

Why is it bad to give a dog chocolate? General Dog Discussions
    • Chocolate can make a dog really drunk drugged hyper. I've heard that their heart can race so fast that they just wear themselves out. Now let's see if that is true...http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20000607.html"The article explains that chocolate contains theobromine, an alkaloid that dogs can't metabolize quickly. If a dog ingests a large amount of chocolate, the theobromine can build up and reach a toxic level of concentration, leading to cardiac arrest. Different types of chocolate are more harmful than others, and the effects will vary, depending upon the size and weight of the dog. However, it is potentially lethal."Check out the link for "the rest of the story."

• There's something called Theobromine in chocolate and that is what's toxic to dogs. An m&m here or there won't kill them but in my opinion, why take chances? A little bit of arsenic won't kill you but you probably wouldn't ingest it right? Here is a chart that shows how much is too much chocolate for a dog: Toxic Amounts of ChocolateWeight/Milk Choc/Unsweet. Choc/Mg Theobromine 5 lb. / 4 oz. / .5 oz. / 20010 lbs. / 8 oz. / 1.0 oz. / 40020 lbs. / 1 lb. / 2.5 oz. / 90030 lbs. / 2 lbs. / 3.25 oz. / 130040 lbs. / 2.5 lbs. / 4.5 oz. / 180050 lbs. / 3 lbs. / 5.5 oz. / 225060 lbs. / 4 lbs. / 7.0 oz. / 270070 lbs. / 5 lbs. / 8.5 oz. / 3400

• Chocolate, like grapes, is not good for a dog because of toxins in it. A little amount however, will not kill or sicken your dog but, I'd still keep it out of their diet.