Will dogs really die from eating chocolate?

My dog got into chocolate and I'm not sure if I should take it seriously or not. It was a little piece of a brownie and now I'm freaking out about it. What's the real answer?My dog got into chocolate and I'm not sure if I should take it seriously or not.…

My dog got into chocolate and I'm not sure if I should take it seriously or not. It was a little piece of a brownie and now I'm freaking out about it. What's the real answer?My dog got into chocolate and I'm not sure if I should take it seriously or not.…...
    General Dog Discussions : Will dogs really die from eating chocolate?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Will dogs really die from eating chocolate?

Will dogs really die from eating chocolate? General Dog Discussions
      My dog got into chocolate and I'm not sure if I should take it seriously or not. It was a little piece of a brownie and now I'm freaking out about it. What's the real answer?My dog got into chocolate and I'm not sure if I should take it seriously or not. It was a little piece of a brownie and now I'm freaking out about it. He's a pretty big dog and is very active. What's the real answer?

Will dogs really die from eating chocolate? General Dog Discussions
    • No, hun. It's not true. (years ago) My 4 pound poodle got ahold of a Kit kat candy bar one day and he ate the whole thing and it never killed him, so I doubt a brownie is going to kill your dog. Your dog might puke a bit, but won't die.P.S. Chocolate does NOT give a pet worms! Just wanted to clear that crap up right away! lol

• A little piece won't hurt them. But if they consume it all the time, they can catch worms. You can reward the dog with a piece of chocolate from time to time. Just not everyday.

• a few M&Ms killed my precious pug..so yes, dogs can die from eating chocolate. some react much worse than others...However, a brownie is very diluted chocolate. I wouldn't worry.

• A little piece of brownie is nothing to worry about. Dogs can get very sick and sometimes die from eating too much chocolate though, especially dark chocolate. It is posionous to them but does not give them worms like some people stated. Also you should NEVER intentionally feed your dog chocolate no matter how little, it is not worth the risk.

• No. But it's a rare case that they don't. A friend of mine has a German Sheperd/Golden Retriver mix, and she can eat almost anything. It's because she was brought up like that. But I suggest you don't give your dog chocolate... Just in case.

• That probably won't harm your dog however chocolate does kill dogs. It depends on how much is consumed, the size and shape of the dog, and the type of chocolate. It causes their heart to race resulting in a heart attack. Your dog will act extremly hyper and pretty much just die, fall over. It's terrible.Knowing which chocolate is the most toxic is important, but leaves one wondering how much must be eaten to poison a dog. The list in this box should be helpful. Maybe you can clip it and post it on your refrigerator? White chocolate: 200 ounces per pound of body weight. It takes 250 pounds of white chocolate to cause signs of poisoning in a 20-pound dog, 125 pounds for a 10-pound dog. Milk chocolate: 1 ounce per pound of body weight. Approximately one pound of milk chocolate is poisonous to a 20-pound dog; one-half pound for a 10-pound dog. The average chocolate bar contains 2 to 3 ounces of milk chocolate. It would take 2-3 candy bars to poison a 10 pound dog. Semi-sweet chocolate has a similar toxic level. Sweet cocoa: 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight. One-third of a pound of sweet cocoa is toxic to a 20-pound dog; 1/6 pound for a 10-pound dog. Baking chocolate: 0.1 ounce per pound body weight. Two one-ounce squares of bakers' chocolate is toxic to a 20-pound dog; one ounce for a 10-pound dog.

• I was reading up on Chihuahuas because I really want to get one and in like every single book it says that dogs can NOT eat chocolate ESPECIALLY bakers chocolate.If they do it can possibly be deadly. If your does eat chocolate you have to try and make them throw it up and then call a veteranarian.I'm not sure about brownies though. I though they meant stuff like Hershery's or something. Is the chocolate they put in brownies real?? If so just follow the instructions I just gave you.

• Your dog seems like it didn't eat enough to cause harm. It depends on the size of your dog and the type of chocolate.This will give you the amounts and typehttp://www.howstuffworks.com/question348.htm