How much does the medicine cost for diabetic dogs?

Or whatever they use to treat it...I think my dog has diabetes, he has to go to the vet soon...

Or whatever they use to treat it...I think my dog has diabetes, he has to go to the vet soon......
    General Dog Discussions : How much does the medicine cost for diabetic dogs?...

• How much does the medicine cost for diabetic dogs?

How much does the medicine cost for diabetic dogs? General Dog Discussions
      Or whatever they use to treat it...I think my dog has diabetes, he has to go to the vet soon...

How much does the medicine cost for diabetic dogs? General Dog Discussions
    • Diabetic dogs are treated with insulin. Depending on what type is prescribed and where you get it, I've seen it anywhere from $70 - $100 a bottle. Has your dog been diagnosed as diabetic?

• They treat it with insulin if you buy Walmart brand it isn't that expensive for the amount you need to use..however you will have to work with the vet on getting the right dosage and make any changes.

• The only way to treat diabetes in dogs is a type of insulin. There used to be a great product on the market called Humilin, which was about $30 a bottle. For a small dog, around 14 pounds, that bottle would last about a month, with two injections a day. They stopped making it, and now there is a product called Vetsulin that is prescribed for this. It costs a little more, around $37-$40 a bottle, and lasts a little less time. The potency wears off as you get to the bottom of the bottle, I noticed. It still goes for around a little less than a month.These are not the only costs involved with a diabetic animal. Your vet may require you to have a glucose curve test done every 4-6 months, if things are going well, and more often if they are not. In addition, there are some other things you can do at home to help monitor the dog-there are some strips you can buy at the pharmacy that measure keytones and glucose levels in pee. You should also have a jar of honey on hand at all times; just like people, dogs can have an incident.If you want to read up on this disease in dogs, here is a great website to look at:www.veterinarypartner.comI had a diabetic minpin, and don't worry-it really isn't the end of the world for your dog. The only difference we had was that we had to give her injections and keep her on a strict diet. She was very normal otherwise.