My dog shakes to any loud noise What can I do to stop that?

My dog is a chocolate lab and springer spainel and she is scared of all loud noises like a flash of a camera, a thunderstorm, and fireworks. She shakes, drools, and pants(however you spell it) and hides in one spot and wont move. Is there anything I can…

My dog is a chocolate lab and springer spainel and she is scared of all loud noises like a flash of a camera, a thunderstorm, and fireworks. She shakes, drools, and pants(however you spell it) and hides in one spot and wont move. Is there anything I can…...
    General Dog Discussions : My dog shakes to any loud noise What can I do to stop that?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• My dog shakes to any loud noise What can I do to stop that?

My dog shakes to any loud noise What can I do to stop that? General Dog Discussions
      My dog is a chocolate lab and springer spainel and she is scared of all loud noises like a flash of a camera, a thunderstorm, and fireworks. She shakes, drools, and pants(however you spell it) and hides in one spot and wont move. Is there anything I can do to prevent that?

My dog shakes to any loud noise What can I do to stop that? General Dog Discussions
    • my dog is a shih tzu and does the very same thing. all i know to do other than drugs for anxiety is just hold her and try to make her comfortable and know you are there to protect her. it makes me sad to see my dog that frantic. good luck.

• De-Sensitize them. The more they are around it, the more they get used to it. Unfortunately in your case, the more the merrier. It'll be rough and they'll be scared, but they'll learn when you're making loud noises and they're not being hurt and everything is fine................that it's ok and they don't need to be afraid. Little by little, don't bombard them. Also, prepare them....start out with little noises and work up to it, don't just go get a pot or pan and smack it.....little noises to big noises....try playing with them at the same time.

• This is not uncommon. Many times owners thinking that they are comforting their dogs/puppies accidently reinforce the behavior. Basically do not comfort the dog-ie petting, holding etc. Dogs will do anything that gives them positive feedback-ie petting. Ignore her during these episodes, praise her if she stops. Try giving her a special blanket or toy that may comfort and distract her. If you give her a blanket, you should try sleeping with yourself-to put your "smell" on it. If it smells like you she most likely will feel comforted by it. Some dogs are so bad that their owners must give them a mild tranquilizer to calm them before the storm or thunderstorm hits

• hi my chihuahua is the same even if there is yelling going on she shakes like a leaf! I usually try and hold her and stroke her and reassure her and move her onto my bed she feels very safe and secure there.I think if you make too big a deal they just get more nervous and I dont think forcing them to listen to loud noise will help.Maybe train her to go to her bed (if she has one)when there is loud noise so that she feels secure