Any advice or tips on how to get my dog to use his other leg when walking?

My dog had surgery on his hip and now he is recovering but is not using his injured leg much. Any advice on how to get him to use his leg?

My dog had surgery on his hip and now he is recovering but is not using his injured leg much. Any advice on how to get him to use his leg?...
    General Dog Discussions : Any advice or tips on how to get my dog to use his other leg when walking?...

• Any advice or tips on how to get my dog to use his other leg when walking?

Any advice or tips on how to get my dog to use his other leg when walking? General Dog Discussions
      My dog had surgery on his hip and now he is recovering but is not using his injured leg much. Any advice on how to get him to use his leg?

Any advice or tips on how to get my dog to use his other leg when walking? General Dog Discussions
    • Did your vet give you any advice on "physical therapy" or anything? One of our dogs broke his toe about 2 years ago. There wasn't anything we could do as far as casting...the vet said it would heal on its own and it took him a couple weeks to start using it again....however, he'll still hold it up every once in a while. I've also noticed that when we cut his nails, the nails on that particular foot are twice as long as the other feet...which shows that he does not favor that foot. I'd call your vet and voice your concerns...they should be able to give you some suggestions...especially since he's had prior hip problems.

• find a way to tie his other leg up, and see what he does. work with him around the house first, cuz i wouldn't try it outside. and just see what he does. you can also tie the other end of the leash around his lower body to help him so he does fall over, but still encouraging him to use the bum leg.

• Make sure his leg is properly healed first. If it is and he still wont use it try setting up an off the ground rope thing, like football players train on. Like a rope ladder. I'm not sure what they are called. Going threw this should help him to use all his legs and get better control over them.

• Yes,I had this happen years ago when my 5 month- old German shepherd pup,Anton, had surgery on a dislocated hip.He wouldn't walk on it ,either,and so my vet at the time,being a wily old fellow,told me to take a pop bottle cap and wrap it to the bottom of the good leg with an ace bandage and then secure it with tape,and to walk him with this contraption on three times a day for ten minutes at a time.Because he did not like the pop bottle cap on the bottom of his good foot,he was forced to use the injured leg,and after a week ,he began using it regularly.Also,if you have access to a pool or lake,swimming is great ( if the sutures have been removed.)Oh,and I HAD to do this, as the muscles in the bad leg were beginning to atrophy from him not using the leg. His thigh muscle in that leg was never quite as big as the one on the good leg.