How often does one have Parvo injection?

How often should a dog have a parvo injection, i read many different answers on the internet about this, some say injection last for 3 years some only a year. My 6yr choc lab has had booster injections every year up until Nov 2008. What is right, as i…

How often should a dog have a parvo injection, i read many different answers on the internet about this, some say injection last for 3 years some only a year. My 6yr choc lab has had booster injections every year up until Nov 2008. What is right, as i…...
    General Dog Discussions : How often does one have Parvo injection?...

• How often does one have Parvo injection?

How often does one have Parvo injection? General Dog Discussions
      How often should a dog have a parvo injection, i read many different answers on the internet about this, some say injection last for 3 years some only a year. My 6yr choc lab has had booster injections every year up until Nov 2008. What is right, as i know any vets will tell you to have them done yearly for the money they get. What do you think.

How often does one have Parvo injection? General Dog Discussions
    • Kindly ignore the totally clueless and very dangerous theory by ziggy, who obviously has never had a dog - or at least one that lived.Puppies absolutely must have their series of vaccinations, 3 starting at 6 to 8 weeks, two or three weeks apart. The number one killer of puppies is parvo - until the pups have ALL 3 sets of vaccinations (actually,until 10 days after the last), they have NO immunity to canine diseases and are very liable to die from one if they are taken on public property where other dogs have been.After that, they need a booster and their rabies vaccinations. Rabies is the only vaccination required by law.I do agree that most pets are over-vaccinated and yearly vaccinations are ridiculous. A dog, after 2 years of age, has most immunity, so if you have them get the 3 year rabies vaccination in their second year (most vets won't do it the first time), your dog really doesn't need yearly vaccinations unless something is going around in your area.Those puppy vaccinations are often the difference between life and death, if you have ever seen a puppy with parvo you will not question this neccessity. However, most vaccinations give adult dogs immunity far longer than a year. If you have any doubts, you can have a titer done on your dog to check his antibodies. Problem is, the titer costs more than the vaccination at most vets.Use your head --- get those puppy vaccinations, get the rabies, the booster. After the second year, no need to get yearly vaccinations. Over vaccination can cause all sorts of immune diseasesand trigger other genetic problems.