What's the best way to travel with my dog to Germany?

We're moving to Germany in June and we're taking our 1yr old Jack Russel with us. Has anyone had any experience in traveling with their dog overseas? What's the best way to ship a dog -- carry-on or in the cargo .. or is there a better way?

We're moving to Germany in June and we're taking our 1yr old Jack Russel with us. Has anyone had any experience in traveling with their dog overseas? What's the best way to ship a dog -- carry-on or in the cargo .. or is there a better way?...
    General Dog Discussions : What's the best way to travel with my dog to Germany?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What's the best way to travel with my dog to Germany?

What's the best way to travel with my dog to Germany? General Dog Discussions
      We're moving to Germany in June and we're taking our 1yr old Jack Russel with us. Has anyone had any experience in traveling with their dog overseas? What's the best way to ship a dog -- carry-on or in the cargo .. or is there a better way?

What's the best way to travel with my dog to Germany? General Dog Discussions
    • If he is small enough to fit into a carry on do so...But you MUST check with the airline that you will be flying and make sure you get all the papers along the way. I don't like putting an animal in the cargo, however if you do, make sure he has plenty of water, and some food to eat...that is a very long trip. Talk to your vet he will have some ideas also.If you carry on..you must make sure your dog doesn't bark. Is he/she a barker?

• I would definitely carry-on I would never let my dog travel in the cargo hold, and this sounds mean but you can always get a sedative for him from your veterinarian. Also remember that animals that are moving into Europe from another country must go thru quarantine for I think 6 months I would definitely look into that. Enjoy your new home!!

• A Jack Russel is a fairly small dog therefor i would opt. to carry it on in a soft carrier with a favorite soft toy"stuffed animal" or blanket. I belive ther is a quarantine period. Also since Jacks tend to be high strun a seditive may not be a bad idea,check with you vet.

• I lived in Italy for 2 years (military family).You must check with the airline for the standards. I believe their crates can only be about 8" to 10" tall to be carried onboard, and federal transportation law requires that they be able to stand up and turn around in whatever carrier they are placed in.You will also want to check the national requirements. Most European countries require that the dog has been vaccinated for rabies, etc., and that they have been microchipped. I also had to get a US Department of Agriculture health certificate within 7-10 days of transport -- the closer, the better. Most vets can facilitate this. (Surprisingly, some rural vets actually handle this more because they do it for cattle, etc.)If your dog must be shipped in the cargo bay, you want to be careful. Too much food/water, and he could get sick, too little and he will be miserable. Also, be sure that their crate is securely closed and thoroughly latched. Also, make sure that the airline knows that you are shipping your dog and that you are concerned about him. The airline we flew on came and told me that my dog was on-board and safe before the plane took off. It made me feel better knowing that they were following up on him.One final thing, I gave my dog dramamine (my vet indicated that it was ok and dosage for my dog was 1 tablet, and she (we took a he to Italy and came back with him and an Italian girlfriend dog) gets motion sickness) and benadryl to help her relax/sleep. You want to avoid tranquilizers, however, if at all possible because this lowers their metabolism and can have health risks.