How do I keep my older dog from hurting my new puppy?

I have a 2 year old mix 20lb dog, and a new puppy american <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/8-bulldog/?s=10b49864dca06eb01025709e0fcdd6de67546dfe">bulldog</a>. The older dog is a male that is protective over my wife. The puppy tries to go to her and the older dog grouls and bites at the female puppy. The older dog has always been nice and…

I have a 2 year old mix 20lb dog, and a new puppy american <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/8-bulldog/?s=10b49864dca06eb01025709e0fcdd6de67546dfe">bulldog</a>. The older dog is a male that is protective over my wife. The puppy tries to go to her and the older dog grouls and bites at the female puppy. The older dog has always been nice and…...
    General Dog Discussions : How do I keep my older dog from hurting my new puppy?...

• How do I keep my older dog from hurting my new puppy?

How do I keep my older dog from hurting my new puppy? General Dog Discussions
      I have a 2 year old mix 20lb dog, and a new puppy american bulldog. The older dog is a male that is protective over my wife. The puppy tries to go to her and the older dog grouls and bites at the female puppy. The older dog has always been nice and sweet. What should I do.

How do I keep my older dog from hurting my new puppy? General Dog Discussions
    • I'm not going to lie... the previous "asker" just had the exact same problem, so I copied and pasted this for you:Obedience training... for the older dog first, then for the new pup. It will give them a chance to learn some social skills and manners (and obedience, of course) while in a professional, controlled environment. Ask your vet for a recommendation to a good local trainer. In the meantime, keep one or both of them on leashes (so you can intervene quickly, if need be)and ALWAYS supervise them closely when they are together. You don't necessarily have to be holding the leashes at all times, but it will give you something to grab onto to safely split them up. DON'T let the older dog get away with aggressive behaviour towards the pup, he needs to understand that YOU (and your wife) are the pack leaders, and you decide who joins the pack, NOT him!Good luck! I'm sure one day they'll be best friends :D

• Just make sure that your older dog doesnt feel like he is being replaced by the new puppy. Pay just as much attention, if not more on the older dog until he can get used to the fact that he has to share his house and his owners with a new house mate... I would also spend some extra time with both dogs together and see how they act when it is just the two of them... like letting them both outside together with no humans around... if they start to fight, break them up and let both of them know that aggressive behavior is unacceptable. All dogs will do anything you tell them, as long as they respect you and see you as the "leader of the pack"

• You need to get your wife involved with the older dog by telling him no, when the puppy comes toward her. Since he is protective of her, she needs to show her dominance over him by letting him know it's ok that the puppy comes to her. They'll get it together after a month of so.

• I don't think your older dog will hurt the puppy. It is showing domination though which is natural to an older dog when introduced to a puppy. Most puppies will play inferior to the older ones because they know their place. They will usually turn around and roll on their back to show that they are no threat.