What can I give my pregnant dog to keep her healthy?

I heard that after giving birth, my dog will lose a lot of calcium and might lose strength and might die. I would like to know what I can feed her and help her with before, during, and after she gives birth. Can you please give some food options and any…

I heard that after giving birth, my dog will lose a lot of calcium and might lose strength and might die. I would like to know what I can feed her and help her with before, during, and after she gives birth. Can you please give some food options and any…...
    General Dog Discussions : What can I give my pregnant dog to keep her healthy?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What can I give my pregnant dog to keep her healthy?

What can I give my pregnant dog to keep her healthy? General Dog Discussions
      I heard that after giving birth, my dog will lose a lot of calcium and might lose strength and might die. I would like to know what I can feed her and help her with before, during, and after she gives birth. Can you please give some food options and any other things that may help keep her healthy and strong and not have any trouble for her.

What can I give my pregnant dog to keep her healthy? General Dog Discussions
    • you would just wanna give her the normal things just feed her more , more often and try and keep her from doing strenuouss activities such as running playing and jumping a lot after she gives birth take her to a vet to get checked out to insure there are no problems and for calcium you can give your dog a milk enriched with calcium made specially for dogs

• Great Job!Generally, this is usually with dogs with larger litters, but yes indeed pregnant and nursing dogs need increased amounts of calcium. Try giving a little Cheese (a lot of dogs prefer the taste of cottage cheese. It is also easier to digest), but the best supplement is what the Vet gives you. They should hand you some Tablets that you give a dog (most dogs LOVE them!) and that helps their calcium boost more than anything. I suggest that more than anything else. Also, try adding the yogurt on your dog's food: it will soften the dry food and dogs will enjoy it.

• If you're worried about eclampsia, I can tell you from experience you do NOT give them extra calcium or calcium rich foods (which puppy food has too much of for a pregnant dog so do NOT give a pregnant dog puppy food).Please read the information below carefully:Quote: "Prevention of eclampsiaInappropriate calcium supplementation can predispose a bitch to develop eclampsia.Over-supplementation of calcium during pregnancy may increase the risk of eclampsia. There is a complex way the body maintains the proper amount of calcium in the blood. The body is constantly adding calcium to bones and then removing it, as needed. This is regulated by a hormone produced by the parathyroid gland, called parathyroid hormone. If a dog receives increased amounts of calcium during pregnancy, her body's production of parathyroid hormone greatly decreases. When the dog suddenly needs large amounts of calcium for milk production, the system is not ready to start removing it from the bone. This is because it takes some time for the parathyroid gland to start producing the hormone again. Because of the lack in parathyroid hormone, the blood calcium level suddenly drops, and produces the signs of eclampsia.So, adequate amounts of calcium need to be given during pregnancy, but not enough to slow down the production of parathyroid hormone. This means calcium supplements are generally NOT recommended. Also, it is important for the calcium and phosphorus in the diet to be at the correct ratio of 1:1 (i.e.; 1 part calcium to 1 part phosphorus). Vitamin D must also be present in adequate amounts."A dog will die from eclampsia (in convulsions) if it develops and the correct IMMEDIATE emergency care is not given. I know, I drove 300 miles TWO times to save one of my Chis (and she only had 4 puppies). The first vet was green, and was afraid to give her a calcium IV probably because that can kill them too, if too much is given, and instead simply gave me some liquid calcium in a syringe to give her by mouth. It only helped a little and after a few days, she was showing symptoms again. The second trip, my dog was going into convulsions by the time I got to within 40 miles from the clinic, and I barely made it. This time, I got the most experienced vet at my old clinic; he gave her a calcium IV and she was completely OK in about 15 minutes. Please do not listen to people who have not been through this with a dog and are more interested in points or status rather than whether your dog lives or dies. Convulsions are not pretty to watch, especially if you KNOW you brought it on (I didn't, my vet asked me about her diet while she was pregnant while we were waiting for the IV to take effect and explained to me what I had done without realizing it).

• I would get her some vitamins. They have prenatal for dogs but it is always best to call your vet for their recommendation. After birth I would give her a vitamin called Nutri-Cal. It comes in a tube and only requires a small amount daily. It is fairly inexpensive and will put weight on her so if she is overweight go for something else. Again, get your vets approval. Good luck!