How do you leave home when you have a dog?

I know my kids would love having a dog, but my family goes away for a few days quite often. I certainly don't want to pay to cage the dog in a kennel each time we go away. How do you do it?

How do you leave home when you have a dog?

I know my kids would love having a dog, but my family goes away for a few days quite often. I certainly don't want to pay to cage the dog in a kennel each time we go away. How do you do it?...
    General Dog Discussions : How do you leave home when you have a dog?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• We pay for a good kennel. We consider it part of the expense of having a pet.You could pay a responsible adult to look after your pet while you are gone but you have to really trust them to do it.

• I have a friend's grandson take care of my pets when I am out of town. It is best to have someone your dogs know and feel comfortable with such as a family friend or relative and also someone you would feel comfortable with having inside your home while you are away. I am not crazy about kennels as face it...it isn't home and I believe our pets suffer from loneliness and being home sick just as we do.

• In all honesty, I wouldn't get a pet. A puppy / kitten / birds... all animals are twenty/four maintenance. Especially when young. I wouldn't put my puppy through going to different places every few weeks, or even boarding her up for a few days. They need love all the time, not just around your schedule. Besides, changing her location all the time might put the wrong idea in her mind, and you never know how uneasy she would start being around you and your family. It's probably best to wait for an animal until you and your family havemore time for one. Oh, and if you do decide to still get the dog, make sure it has a boarding shot.. it saves it from sickness of other pets.

• Get a trustworthy neighborhood kid to walk and feed the dog. One of your kid's friends would be fine. I did this for a neighbor for a week when I was a kid, and the $75 I got for bringing in the mail, letting the dog out, feeding the dog, and playing with the Dog a little was a real thrill.