How do you leave home when you have a dog?

I know my kids would love having a dog, but my family goes away for a few days quite often. I certainly don't want to pay to cage the dog in a kennel each time we go away. How do you do it?

I know my kids would love having a dog, but my family goes away for a few days quite often. I certainly don't want to pay to cage the dog in a kennel each time we go away. How do you do it?...
    General Dog Discussions : How do you leave home when you have a dog?...

• How do you leave home when you have a dog?

How do you leave home when you have a dog? General Dog Discussions
      I know my kids would love having a dog, but my family goes away for a few days quite often. I certainly don't want to pay to cage the dog in a kennel each time we go away. How do you do it?

How do you leave home when you have a dog? General Dog Discussions
    • leave them with sitters (friends or neighbors)maybe even on an exchange basisor have somone come it.many take their dogs to pet friendly hotelsor campgrounds.but it does require advance planning.i think if you travel a cat is a better idea.

• Ask a friend or relative to keep the dog or come by my home daily to feed and give him water. We often take our dog on vacation with us when we can find a pet friendly hotel. Mine is a small miniature Dachshund.

• If you can't afford to properly care for your dog in your absence (in a licensed kennel or with a caring relative) maybe you should reconsider getting a dog. Dogs are not cheap play things. They are one of the more expensive types of pets to care for. Please reconsider your options. Maybe a smaller more independant pet would be more suited for your family?Hope this helps.

• We used to leave our dogs in the backyard with an automatic feeder and a tub of water. We would ask the neighbors if they would check in on the dogs to make sure they didn't run out of water - and invited the neighbors kids to play with the dogs while we were gone.Our neighbors were generally happy to do this for us as they were picking up our mail and watering plants. Our dogs were always just fine - and we never had to pay for kenneling!

• Many vets board dogs while you're away, and that includes walking and playing with them, not just crating them.My dog stays with his trainer/walker at her home; she's AKC certified and wonderful - and he knows her well. On a couple of occasions, he's stayed at home and she's come three times a day to walk him. Either way, it works well.Good luck!

• When we go away for just a few days, we leave the dogs at home and have neighbor, family member or pet sitter come by and feed them and look after them. We also have one set of friends who will let them stay at their house if it is a convenient time for them.For longer trips (like 5 or more days) we usually board them so they can get exercised and walked and are less likely to get bored and lonely.

• Is there anyone in your neighborhood who is young and would like to pet-sit? Or look in your local newspaper for cheep sitters. Or you could go on pet friendly vacations ( rent a beach house, camping, pet-friendly hotels, etc). I hope this helps!

• Get a relative or someone you trust like a best friend to take care of it while your gone. Make sure you don't make posters or something like that or hire a stranger because they could injure or steal the dog.(I knew I'm being kind of stupid knowing that just about know body in the right minds would post a poster but....)

• Depends on what it is you go out of town for. If it is for vacations etc. then plan pet friendly trips. We have 4 dogs as well as foster dogs at times and we do things like camping, fishing, etc. and when we do other things there are many hotels that do allow pets. You are the only one that knows what your family needs and it may be that a dog is not for your family. You should also check with family and friends that may be willing to care for your dog when you are gone. When we went to a theme park for the weekend we had my mother keep the dogs. So it all depends on what our family goes away for and how often is quite often. But please keep researching it is good thatyou are thinking ahead before getting a dog, alot of people dont and then these poor dogs end up in shelters or on the streets. Thank you for doing your homework!!!

• We take the dogs with us and find Motels that accomodate pets.. They are crated also. And we have used the kennel at our Vets... but they all ended up with a virus... so that was a once onlyIf your life style is too busy for a pet then don't do it... Our life style includes dogs as we train and trial them.Think About It Carefully... a cat can take care of itsself while you are gone for a few days.... Good Lucksew

• I hope I don't sound harsh, but you have to be the adult and the one who is responsible for your dog, not your children. Unless you are truly on board with the responsibility of a dog, don't just get one for your kids. Dogs are pack animals and if you and your family are going away without the dog frequently, that is not fair to the dog. You may end up with a dog who does not have a sense of security and may have separation anxiety issues. If you really want a dog, you will need to consider changing your lifestyle and including your dog as a member of the family who goes on trips with you. I know that it isn't always possible, and in those cases you need to be ready to pay the expense of a kennel or a dog sitter. That is part of the deal with dogs. Please think carefully about whether or not you are ready to make that kind of commitment.

• Believe it or not, my three Great Danes travel with us if we're going to be gone for a few days. The large chain motels where we stay usually charge about $10 per dog pet deposit and they stay right in the room with us. We take food and water with us and stop at rest areas and gas stations to give them exercise and let them do their business. (Of course, we keep them on leashes in public and all of our traveling is done by car.) They love to ride and never have to face that separation anxiety that a lot of dogs get.

• try and get friends or family to watch him or take him with you/ But dont leave him on his own even if he is being fed and watered this is not a good environment for a dog. and if u were planning on getting a puppy they are a lot of work. I have a 4 month puppy and he just goes to my parents if i have to leave him for the whole day. Puppies get bored which means mischief or destruction. So think carefully about getting on.