Will anything happens to my dogs if they ate a small amount of chocolate?

My mom gave each of my dogs a chocolate lucky charm after the jillion times I have told her never to give the dogs chocolate? Will anything happen to them?

My mom gave each of my dogs a chocolate lucky charm after the jillion times I have told her never to give the dogs chocolate? Will anything happen to them?...
    General Dog Discussions : Will anything happens to my dogs if they ate a small amount of chocolate?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Will anything happens to my dogs if they ate a small amount of chocolate?

Will anything happens to my dogs if they ate a small amount of chocolate? General Dog Discussions
      My mom gave each of my dogs a chocolate lucky charm after the jillion times I have told her never to give the dogs chocolate? Will anything happen to them?

Will anything happens to my dogs if they ate a small amount of chocolate? General Dog Discussions
    • They'll be fine!My dog used to eat pretty much everything (people food) and he lived to be 15 and very healthy strong dog. You name it, he ate it and he was perfectly healthy.Dont worry about it.

• your not supost to give dogs chocolate at all! its not healthy for there digestive system and there heart could speed up if you keep on giving them chocolate and they can pass out.

• Chocolate contains theobromine, a compound that is a cardiac stimulant and a diuretic. When affected by an overdose of chocolate, a dog can become excited and hyperactive. Due to the diuretic effect, it may pass large volumes of urine and it will be unusually thirsty. Vomiting and diarrhea are also common. The effect of theobromine on the heart is the most dangerous effect. Theobromine will either increase the dog’s heart rate or may cause the heart to beat irregularly. Death is quite possible, especially with exercise. Symptoms of chocolate poisoning include: vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, hyperactivity, irregular heartbeat and seizures.Larger quantities of chocolate can poison or even kill a medium or large dog. An ounce or two of chocolate may not seem like much but it can be lethal to a small dog that weighs 10 lbs. or less. After their dog has eaten a large quantity of chocolate, many pet owners assume their pet is unaffected. However, the signs of sickness may not be seen for several hours, with death following within twenty-four hours.Cocoa powder and cooking chocolate are the most toxic forms. These forms of chocolate contain ten times more theobromine than milk chocolate. Even licking a substantial part of the chocolate icing from a cake can make a dog sick. The next most dangerous forms are semi-sweet chocolate and dark chocolate, with milk chocolate being the least dangerous. A dog needs to eat more than a 250gm block of milk chocolate, however the high amount of fat found in milk chocolate can lead to an attack of pancreatitis.1 ounce per pound of body weight (2 ounces per kg of body weight) for milk chocolate. 1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight ( 1 ounce per 1.5 kg body weight) for semi-sweet chocolate 1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight ( 1 ounce per 4 kg) for baker's chocolate.During many holidays such as Christmas, New Year's Day, Easter and Halloween, chocolate is often accessible to curious dogs, and in some cases, people unwittingly poison their dogs by offering them chocolate as a treat or letting them lick a frosting bowl.