Would a senior dog be good for a first time dog owner?

I've been wanting to adopt a dog. I have NO experience in owning a dog. I want my first dog to "teach" me as much as I love and care for it. The quote "With age comes wisdom" pops into my head.What are the pros and cons of adopting a senior dog over a…

I've been wanting to adopt a dog. I have NO experience in owning a dog. I want my first dog to "teach" me as much as I love and care for it. The quote "With age comes wisdom" pops into my head.What are the pros and cons of adopting a senior dog over a…...
    General Dog Discussions : Would a senior dog be good for a first time dog owner?...

• Would a senior dog be good for a first time dog owner?

Would a senior dog be good for a first time dog owner? General Dog Discussions
      I've been wanting to adopt a dog. I have NO experience in owning a dog. I want my first dog to "teach" me as much as I love and care for it. The quote "With age comes wisdom" pops into my head.What are the pros and cons of adopting a senior dog over a younger dog as a first time owner?

Would a senior dog be good for a first time dog owner? General Dog Discussions
    • A senior dog is create for the first time dog owner. A senior will already be potty trained for one thing. They settle into a new environment quickly. http://www.aspca.org/adoption/adoption-tips/reasons-to-adopt-an-older-dog.aspx

• Senior dogs [in my opinion] are great for people who havent had experience with a dog and isnt up to par with the large responsibility at owning and raising a puppy.Pros:- You know what you are getting in terms of size as they have stopped growing long ago, that way owners who get a pup from the shelter dont have to second guess or be surprised when their once so little pup grows and matures into a large size dog that they werent able to provide for.- Most senior dogs come trained and housebroken. It's always a big myth that shelter dogs are in the shelter due to misbehaving, a lot of the times they are in their at no fault of their own- Temperament wise seniors are more mellow and their temperament is all set in place. With growing pups an owner isnt guaranteed to get a pup with the same temperament as it is as a pup; as they mature into adulthood so do their temperaments change.- They dont require as much vigorous exercise as they would if they were younger.- Most seniors have great leash manners [so you dont need to worry about a puller]- You don't have to deal with puppy stuff like potty training, teethingCons:- Their life is short. Adopting a senior an owner should be prepared and understand that their beloved dog just wont have as much time with their new owners. So make the pooches stay worthwhile and memorable!- Vet costs. Because the dog is older more frequent vet visits do come with its age and if that dog is suffering from any ailments that need attention.- You dont know that dogs full history.

• well since it's older it might have health problems and it'll pass away in a shorter amount of time(it'll be really hard if you get attached quick like me)but if you can handle that then that would be the better choice