What responsibilities does a reputable stud dog owner have?

I understand you'd have to show the dog, get all the genetic health testing done as well as making sure he has the appropriate temperament for his breed. I'm guessing you'd also have to show up with your dog if the customers want to see and interact with…

I understand you'd have to show the dog, get all the genetic health testing done as well as making sure he has the appropriate temperament for his breed. I'm guessing you'd also have to show up with your dog if the customers want to see and interact with…...
    General Dog Discussions : What responsibilities does a reputable stud dog owner have?...

• What responsibilities does a reputable stud dog owner have?

What responsibilities does a reputable stud dog owner have? General Dog Discussions
      I understand you'd have to show the dog, get all the genetic health testing done as well as making sure he has the appropriate temperament for his breed. I'm guessing you'd also have to show up with your dog if the customers want to see and interact with the sire of the litter. But what other responsibilities does the owner of a stud dog have?

What responsibilities does a reputable stud dog owner have? General Dog Discussions
    • The stud dog owner must have all relevant health tests done prior to breeding, should be a champion (or major pointed) and be sure that the female used has all clearances and as well be a champion or major pointed. Both must be brucellious tested prior to breeding.No a stud dog owner is not required to show up anywhere. The dog's contribution to the litter can be shipped across the country or around the world. You aren't expected to go anywhere with your stud! Now you must live up to your stud service contract -- usually something like you guarentee three live pups at two weeks of age or a repeat breeding at a later date. Remember, before each breeding you do a $100 brucellious test (even your contractual repeat breedings) and if the owner of the dam wants a sp rm count, you are required to get that too! No extra charge.The stud dog owners responsibility ends there -- as the owner of the dam owns the litter, the stud dog owner does not have any say as to where the puppies go or anything else. The owner of the dam is in control and indeed has responsibilty from time of breeding foreward.However, if a dog from one of my studs were in need and the owner on the dam were unable to help for some reason, I would, and I'm sure many responsible breeders would be there for the pup.

• The owner of the stud dog first must provide evidence of a current brucellosis test, as well as proof of health certifications recommended for that breed. For most breeds that will include an eye exam by a veterinary opthamalogist with subsequent registration of normal and absene of any vision defect like PRA. Most breeds also require some certification for either knees or hips, and many also require blood testing for liver, kidney or a variety of other possible issues known to have a genetic component in that breed. The owner of the stud dog will also require copies of veterinary certificates for each of these areas from the owner of the female prior to any breeding agreement.The owner of the stud dog will typically provide a certified copy of a 5 gneration pedigree of his dog to the owner of the female as well and will request the same. Both parties will review the certifications for the dogs in that pedigree for health issues that may arise.The owner of the stud dog is responsible for the care and breeding of the female at his property and never brings the male anywhere. The female is delivered to the male when she is known to have a blood progesterone level of at least 14 and will be accompanied by a blood panel report documenting her progesterone level. The owner of the stud dog will typically keep the female for 3-5 days and will be soley responsible for her care and safety while she is there. He will see to it that only the designated male is bred to her, that the two will have a natural tie no more than once daily--but also will be bred each day that she is left. The owner of the stud dog also makes other arrangements if needed--like collection of semen to be shipped by a licensed veterinarian to a licensed veterinarian for the purpose of implanting. In this case, the owner of the stud dog would first have to have the male's DNA registered in order to confirm that the semen collected was, in fact, that of the correct dog.Stud dog owners have so many responsibilities while providing the care of visiting females that many stud dog owners will only breed from the shipment of chilled or frozen semen as a way of avoiding possible escape, injury, or even death of a visiting female.

• Really Anne has given you all that you require ,very comprehensive.As for my self they way l operate with my stud dogs is the following:=Yes of course l show my stud male to his championship in Conformation and also Obedience if l can.2idly if someone approaches me to use my dog l do the following:-l check out that person thoroughly and if not a show person and Breeder they will never get their hands on any of my stud dogs although l have made exceptions when l have felt that that person has shown their female to its title and is keen to become a registered Breeder,has done all her homework and l may give her a chance to start her own kennel.My responsibilities to any potential female that is to be put to my dog are the following1.l have my male checked out at the vet for health and possible sperm test if the female owner has asked for this2.l draw up a contract in which l state that if the mating misses she will get a repeat mating.3.l also state that if there are any live puppies that the stud dog has full filled his duty and at that time l ask for the stud fee not before.5.l ask for a swab to be taken of the female to be used with my dog and this is mandatory plus a health check b y a Vet and all hereditary testing paperwork done on that female.10.If by any chances the pups born do not survive past several hours l may and usually will give another stud but only to the same female at a later date as Mother Nature' can be cruel.l only do this on very very rare occsions.11.l in the contract have all results of health testing my dog has had,but in my country we do not test for HD or really anything else for my breed but in other Countries the States they do and that MUST be included in the contractual agreement and be given a photostats of all results as well.12.The male NEVER goes to the female,it is the other way around.13.Before any agreement is signed or even drawn up l ask to see pictures of the female to be used plus a pedigree and of course all health testing including the swab and vet check as mentioned above.If there is anything in the pedigree that l know will clash with my stud or it is not a compatible pedigree for this female l contact the owner of the female and as tactlfully explain that the mating is not a good one rand explain why.This can be difficult as some people especially new to breeders think that thier female who is quite a good specimen and they find out that my stud dogs they really like but they do not look at the two pedigrees and in fact do not know how to read them correctly and this applies to some Breeders as well who can be unrealistic as if a female has a pedigree that is what we term a wild out cross and there are some dogs in the back of the female's pedigree that l know are actual carriers of any hereditary problem and perhaps the owner does not know l will not allow the mating l think it is fair the owner of the female knows that here is a problem here14.If the owner of the female lives not too far away l invite her and her female to my farm to meet both and show her the stud male and his parents if l have them alive still or any puppies he has thrown which l have kept.l also dig out photos to show the female's owner of pups he has sired and females he has been put to especially their pedigrees to show wjhy this mating wil be a good or bad one.In conclusion l owe a duty to any potential person who wants to use any of my stud dogs and in the main they are not available at public stud so l am very very choosy who l allow to use one of them and a valid contract is written which has certain conditions which is a legal document between both parties.If l have ledt anything out l am sorry but it can be a complicated process although some Breeders are not as fussed as l am re the female to be used nor what their obligations and responsibilities are but in the main you will find most competent Breeders do exactly what l have indicated above.Temperament of BOTH the male and female is all important and if the female does not pass that she will never be put to an y of my boys.It is my stud dog's reputation at stake,my prefix and kennel at stake as well and l guard these firecely as do most people.