What is the best dog for a college student?

I am 19 years old and a sophomore in college. I have been asking my boyfriend to get me a dog for my birthday (which is in 2 months). He agreed to do it but doesn't know if the kind of dog I want will be good for being busy with class. I want a yorkie.…

I am 19 years old and a sophomore in college. I have been asking my boyfriend to get me a dog for my birthday (which is in 2 months). He agreed to do it but doesn't know if the kind of dog I want will be good for being busy with class. I want a yorkie.…...
    General Dog Discussions : What is the best dog for a college student?...

• What is the best dog for a college student?

What is the best dog for a college student? General Dog Discussions
      I am 19 years old and a sophomore in college. I have been asking my boyfriend to get me a dog for my birthday (which is in 2 months). He agreed to do it but doesn't know if the kind of dog I want will be good for being busy with class. I want a yorkie. Is that a bad choice for being busy with class and a sorority? Please Help!

What is the best dog for a college student? General Dog Discussions
    • With you being an active college student, I would suggest that you wait until you graduate college.Dogs are pack animals and if you're not home (off doing college things) your pup will not get properly trained and will turn out to be a little terror.dogs/puppies *REQUIRE* A LOT of TIME and ATTENTION... which it appears that you do not have time to spare/spend on a pup.

• Wait until you graduate.Be a College student, have fun without having to worry about the responsibility of a dog.No dog likes to be left home all day while you are at class, and all night while you are at sorority gatherings.Chad L --Small dogs require just as much time and dedication as large dogs!

• A cat would be a better choice they are self sufficient and you don't have to worry about running home to let them out so they don't have accidents on the floor. But what ever you get, get one from the shelter those pets really needs homes and you would be saving their lives. Trust me they know how lucky they are that you saved them. Good luck.

• It's not good time to get a dog. You are busy now and you will go through a lot of life changes in the next few years. A dog is a 15 year commitment. In the next 15 years, do you plan to get an apartment (odds are good most won't allow dogs), roommates (some may not like dogs or be allergic), a full-time job, get married or have kids? While all these things might not prevent you from keeping a dog, they can be big challenges. I've seen too many people give up their dogs because they are having a baby. Yorkies and toddlers absolutely do not mix.Care costs, especially vet bills can be huge.Wait until your life is more stable, then get your dog.

• No perfect for a sorority...didn't you see movies like Legally Blonde? A small dog is always great for a bunch of girls...who's picking up after the dog when it poops on the floor?I really think you should concentrate on school first. If you are too busy with school then your dog will not get adequate exercise or socialization. Not to mention a yorkie is very expensive to get from a breeder. No good adoption agency will let your boyfriend get a dog as a present. So I suggest you wait or get it yourself. But do enough research on how much it cost to take care of a dog, responsibility as an owner and training for dogs etc so he can be a wellrounded canine.

• I wouldn't recommend getting a dog in college, but if you want to devote time for a puppy I would research breeds first. Yorkie's need lots of attention especially when they are puppies. Well all dogs need lots of attention, but I would definitely research the breed prior to getting one. After the research is done you will know what you are getting yourself into. Also, be careful with the boyfriend buying you a puppy thing. I am not trying to give you love advice, but think about what would happen to the puppy if you broke up.

• Given that you are in college, you are most likely living in a dorm right? So take that into account, you are going to need a dog that is on the rather small side, so a yorkie would be a good size. Remember though, most toy group dogs, i.e Yorkies, Silkies, Chihuahuas, Jack Russell Terriers, Pomeranians, Shi Tzus, etc, have a high energy level. If you know that you can successfully handle their needs of excercise and training, (as a lot of small dogs can be quite stubborn) than you should look into getting a dog. However, rather than looking into getting a purebred dog, why not go with your boyfriend to the local animal shelter? They almost always have a large number of small dogs. Some are already trained. Some are puppies. And ALL need a good home.

• Please don't buy a puppy while shelter pets die. There are yorkie and yorkie types in shelters all over the country and you can find them online. I think a yorkie woule be a great dog for a busy college kid and there are thousands and thousands of them waiting for a good home right now. Many animal control facilities have as high as an 90 percent kill rate, so thousands and thousands of good dogs are killed each and every day because a home cannot be found for them. Please, go online to find your next dog. If you find one that's not convenient for you to pick up, many facilities will ship it to you via the shelter in your town.

• I have a yorkie and generally smaller dogs require a lot of attention. As a college student you probably will be away from your dorm/apt for long periods of time and it probably wouldn't be fair for your dog. You likely will not have the time to properly take care of a dog. You may want to think about getting a cat because they're better at being alone and they're lower maintenance. Kittens are just as cute as puppies! :)

• No dog at all. We recently had to fork out a grand for our dog toget spayed and have a hernia operation - would you be prepared for that sort of thing? Also, once you've finished college you'll go on to a full time job, and the dog would be left alone all day.Just wait a few more years.

• I know you won't listen to those people saying "no dog" I wouldn't either. They are waisting a chance to get 10pts somewhere else.I was in your shoes about 3 years ago. Its hard to not have a dog. I am sure you know what all goes into having a dog and paying vet bills and walks and potty training etc. Yorkies are great apartment dogs. They are small and they have small stuff that doesn't take up a lot of room. You can buy a five pound bag of food and it will last a month. Their toys and bed and kennel can all fit into one cupboard if needed. They are lovely dogs and I have never met one I didn't like.However, there are cons to yorkies, they do need lots of brushing and possibly grooming once a month. That adds up. They can be difficult to potty train as you may not see them squat until you walk through a puddle later. They do have a lot of allergies so be sure to never feed food with corn wheat or soy. They have a lot of energy and need to be walked at least a half hour a day. Knowing all of these things set down and decide if he doesn't mind helping you, Some guys think yorkies are too girlly and only the dog suffers then. Make sure you have time to get him trained.Consider adopting a yorkie. I know in my area about every other month they bust a puppy mill and yorkies always pop up. They are also the choice of elderly people. Don't think every dog in the pound is there because it has a problem. Many yorkies are there because their loving owner went into a nursing home. If you find such a pup that means he is house broken and probibly just looking for a lap to share.Good luck!

• You should be able to own a dog even with your schedule. But not a yorkshire terrier. They are too small and too clingy and needy to be alone for excessive lengths of time (like1 hour.) They just need to be with their people. Another breed would be much better suited for you.Try a Basset Hound, French Bulldog, Bulldog, Schipperke, or maybe even a Lhasa Apso. Lhasa are similar to yorkies in temperament, but they are more independent and less likely to be so clingy and needy.