How many pounds is healthy for a dog to lose each month?

My dog was fat, so, I took many new steps to get her to lose weight. 6 months ago she was 112, today at the vet she was 99, so 13 pounds lost in 6 months. Is that healthy or is that too much too quick?The vet seemed kinda shocked and asked me if I was…

My dog was fat, so, I took many new steps to get her to lose weight. 6 months ago she was 112, today at the vet she was 99, so 13 pounds lost in 6 months. Is that healthy or is that too much too quick?The vet seemed kinda shocked and asked me if I was…...
    General Dog Discussions : How many pounds is healthy for a dog to lose each month?...

• How many pounds is healthy for a dog to lose each month?

How many pounds is healthy for a dog to lose each month? General Dog Discussions
      My dog was fat, so, I took many new steps to get her to lose weight. 6 months ago she was 112, today at the vet she was 99, so 13 pounds lost in 6 months. Is that healthy or is that too much too quick?The vet seemed kinda shocked and asked me if I was trying to get her to lose weight and what I was doing differently than before...so, I was kinda under the impression that she thought I was starving my dog or something.The vet says she still needs to lose about 3 or 4 more pounds, by the way.

How many pounds is healthy for a dog to lose each month? General Dog Discussions
    • Your dog only lost 2lbs a month...... sounds good to me but what do I really know. Call them and ask them, tell them you were just in there and what they expect. Best advise I have, if you don't have 100% confidence in your Vet to talk to them about everything then change vets.

• 1 to 2 pounds a month in large breed dogs. It is not easy as it sounds to get the weight loss. So Good Job You! Only two more months at the rate that you are both going to reach a healthy weight. Best Of Luck!

• The slower anyone looses weight is healthier, when people loose 20 lbs in a month they are much more likely to gain it back just as quickly- so slower is better. 2-3 lbs a month sounds perfectly healthy to me, I think the vet was probably more impressed than anything- most people probably can't follow instructions that well, they feel there being mean. But they won't accept that it's meaner to keep their pets unhealthy