How to you squeeze a dog's gland to keep it from scooting everywhere?

I have never done it before and I really would like to know how ,so I do not have to take my dog to the vet to have it done. Do you squeeze the anus or is a gland near the anus or where? My dog keeps scooting across the carpet all the time. A few times…

I have never done it before and I really would like to know how ,so I do not have to take my dog to the vet to have it done. Do you squeeze the anus or is a gland near the anus or where? My dog keeps scooting across the carpet all the time. A few times…...
    General Dog Discussions : How to you squeeze a dog's gland to keep it from scooting everywhere?...

• How to you squeeze a dog's gland to keep it from scooting everywhere?

How to you squeeze a dog's gland to keep it from scooting everywhere? General Dog Discussions
      I have never done it before and I really would like to know how ,so I do not have to take my dog to the vet to have it done. Do you squeeze the anus or is a gland near the anus or where? My dog keeps scooting across the carpet all the time. A few times she left a brown streak. It is very embarrassing when we have company. My dog is a Jack Russell.

How to you squeeze a dog's gland to keep it from scooting everywhere? General Dog Discussions
    • Here is a video on how to express a dog's anal glands:http://www.ehow.com/video_2275318_express-dog_s-anal-gland.htmlcareful. It's...stinky, to say the least. Good luck!Edit: I'll agree with Love is a German Shepherd. You do need to be shown how by a professional first. My dog had major back surgery and had to have his glands expressed at home. I sometimes forget everyone isn't a gland expressing pro. lol. You do need to visit your vet first to learn the proper technique.

• Your dog NEEDS to go to the vet to have her glands expressed. If build up becomes too extreme, then an infection that requires antibiotics will follow.YOU can not do it properly without being shown. Long story short, you stick your finger INTO the rectum, squeeze the gland slightly between said finger and thumb externally, and you squeeze out like a roll of toothpaste.The video posted above is HORRIBLE, which is why I HATE it when groomers do it!For 1, they don't do it properly! An external expression will not empty the gland out completely. You must insert a finger into the rectum to empty it completely and properly.For 2, it is NOT necessary unless problems are present! Anal glands empty on their own when a dog defecates. If you mess with it and express it yourself constantly, you damage the gland, and then the dog ends up relying on YOU to empty it for the rest of their lives!