How many dogs are allergic to fleas?

Recently, I took my dog to the vet about a bald patch on her bum that she wouldn't stop chewing. The vet said that she was allergic to fleas. I've always put flea treatment on my dogs, but she has friends who's owners aren't that careful.I've never heard…

Recently, I took my dog to the vet about a bald patch on her bum that she wouldn't stop chewing. The vet said that she was allergic to fleas. I've always put flea treatment on my dogs, but she has friends who's owners aren't that careful.I've never heard…...
    General Dog Discussions : How many dogs are allergic to fleas?...

• How many dogs are allergic to fleas?

How many dogs are allergic to fleas? General Dog Discussions
      Recently, I took my dog to the vet about a bald patch on her bum that she wouldn't stop chewing. The vet said that she was allergic to fleas. I've always put flea treatment on my dogs, but she has friends who's owners aren't that careful.I've never heard of a dog with allergies like that before. How common is it?Is there anything I can do for her to keep her extra safe from fleas?

How many dogs are allergic to fleas? General Dog Discussions
    • WELL THIS IS A VERY HARD QUESTION TO ANSWER, BUT I WILL GIVE IT A SHOT, HOPE THIS HELPS AND YOU HAD A GREAT 4TH OF JULY!!Flea allergy dermatitis is the most common allergy in dogs and is caused by flea bites, specifically the saliva of the flea. It is a very itchy disease and predisposes to the development of secondary skin infections.Oddly enough, most animals with flea allergy have very few fleas – because they are so itchy, they groom themselves excessively, eliminating any evidence of fleas. However, a couple of flea bites every two weeks are sufficient to make a flea allergic dog itchy all the time. Any animal can become allergic to fleas, although some dogs are more attractive to fleas than others.Fleas are bloodsucking insects with a life span of 6 to 12 months. This life span is influenced by environmental conditions and can vary from two to three weeks up to a year. Optimal conditions include humidity of 75 to 85 percent and temperature of 65 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Humidity is more important than the temperature.

• My cat is allergic to them, if she comes into contact with them they cannot breed as she has her flea treatment but she still gets a horrible rash that she chews and she looses most of her fur. I think it is fairly common. When she gets the reaction the vet gives her a course of tablets that clear it up but he told us it is dangerous to use long term so it can't be used to prevent it.

• I think pretty much all dogs are allergic to fleas to some degree.. Keep her away from her friends...They are not the kind of dogs you should allow her to be around, especially if the owners do not keep them flea free. My goodness, what else don't they do..your dog could be in danger of many other things too, if they are hanging around with those friends.. not worth the risk.

• Alot of dogs are allergic to fleas, the 4 rottys in our family have all been allergic and the vet has perscribed allergy pills that have worked wonders on all the dogs.