Any advice for boarding dogs at my vet clinic?

My family is going on a three day trip next week and I have to leave my two labs. This is the first time I've ever left them at a kennel. They're scheduled for their kennel cough shots today. Does anyone have any advice since this is all new to me? Also,…

My family is going on a three day trip next week and I have to leave my two labs. This is the first time I've ever left them at a kennel. They're scheduled for their kennel cough shots today. Does anyone have any advice since this is all new to me? Also,…...
    General Dog Discussions : Any advice for boarding dogs at my vet clinic?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Any advice for boarding dogs at my vet clinic?

Any advice for boarding dogs at my vet clinic? General Dog Discussions
      My family is going on a three day trip next week and I have to leave my two labs. This is the first time I've ever left them at a kennel. They're scheduled for their kennel cough shots today. Does anyone have any advice since this is all new to me? Also, can they be kept in the same kennel? I think they would be happier if kept together.

Any advice for boarding dogs at my vet clinic? General Dog Discussions
    • If allowed, bring their normal beds and toys, and I always bring my own food with a feeding guide.Are they going to be walked? If so, bring their leashes.And it would be a good idea to put them in the same kennel because it would be less stressful for them.

• Some places have big enough runs that the 2 could stay together and they would be happier that way. Take some blankets or something they are used to. Labs do NOT like to be kenneled. You might think about trying to hire a college student or somebody to watch after them so they can stay home.

• Some boarding kennels allow them to be in the same kennel, others not. It depends.Some dogs do well at boarding, others not. Make sure your dogs get exercised at least a couple times a day. Some kennels charge extra.I don't use my vet for boarding anymore. Too much focus on clinic, not so much the boarding dogs - just my opinion. I also worry because there are always sick dogs in a clinic no matter how good the sanitation is, and some strains of kennel cough are not covered by the bordatella vaccine. My vet is great and the sanitation is good, but I just don't like boarding there.I prefer to find a pet sitter to stay in my home or if that is not possible I use a boarding kennel that is strictly for boarding.

• Most facilities will NOT allow pets of the same family to be kept in the same kennel for safety reasons. You can request they be next to or across from each other.Ask to see the facility. It should be clean, the floors dry (except in instances when they were just cleaned), all pets should have fresh water available, clean towels or blankets. All pets should be clearly identified by either a neck band or kennel card on the front of their cage. It should not have a foul odor (although it will have a "smell") Ask how many times a day your pets are fed, walked etc. Make sure that your dogs will have adequate room and be kept in a large size cage or kennel. Notice the staff that will be caring for your pet, are they presentable, courteous, attentive? Also, is the facility neat and orderly? Those are a few things to keep in mind....if at any time you feel "uneasy", then it's not the place you will want to keep your pets. A little anxiety is quite normal when leaving pets @ a facility for the first time.Good luck!

• First of all, do they have to have the "bordatella" shot in order to be kenneled there? because I used to work in a vets office and know that unless your dogs are usually kenneled up, there is no real need for that shot. Next, I have kenneled up my pets when I go out of town, so it would be better and less tramatic for them if they could be kenneled up together, and make sure you bring them their own blanket or one of yours with your smell on it, it helps them cope better. Also, if they have a favorite toy, bring it too. Other than that, they should be fine, dogs who stay in kennels for a few days are fine, and they are well cared for.