What human foods are harmful to dogs?

I know that it is best to avoid giving dogs table food entirely. However, I always hear that certain foods are poison to dogs, such as chocolate. What other foods are particularly bad?

I know that it is best to avoid giving dogs table food entirely. However, I always hear that certain foods are poison to dogs, such as chocolate. What other foods are particularly bad?...
    General Dog Discussions : What human foods are harmful to dogs?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What human foods are harmful to dogs?

What human foods are harmful to dogs? General Dog Discussions
      I know that it is best to avoid giving dogs table food entirely. However, I always hear that certain foods are poison to dogs, such as chocolate. What other foods are particularly bad?

What human foods are harmful to dogs? General Dog Discussions
    • 1. Onions (Both onions and garlic contain the toxic ingredient Thiosulphate. But onions are more of a danger. Many dog biscuits contain *small* amounts of garlic – garlic contains less of this toxin so huge amounts would need to be consumed to be toxic. And, by the way, this poison builds up the system – it can be toxic in one large dose – or with repeated consumption of small amounts.)2. Chocolate (Chocolate contains Theobromine, a compound that is a cardiac stimulant and a diuretic. This can be fatal to dogs.)3. Grapes (Grapes are dangerous because of an unknown substance which is toxic to dogs – affects canine’s kidneys)4. Raisins (See above.)5. Most Fruit Pits and Seeds (Contain Cyanogenic Glycosides resulting in cyanide poisoning – though the fruit itself is OK.)6. Macadamia Nuts (Macadamia nuts contain an unknown substance that is toxic to dogs.)7. Bones (Most bones should not be given (especially chicken bones) because they can splinter and cause laceration of the digestive system and/or become lodged in your pet’s throat – so they also pose a choking hazard.)8. Potato Peelings and Green Potatoes (Contain Oxalates, which can affect the digestive, nervous, and urinary systems.)9. Rhubarb leaves (See above.)10. Broccoli (Broccoli is only toxic in large quantities.)11. Green parts of Tomatoes or Green Potatoes (Contain oxalates, which can affect the digestive, nervous, and urinary systems.)12. Yeast Dough (Yeast Dough can produce gas and swell in your pet’s stomach – leading to rupture of the digestive system)13. Coffee, Coffee Grounds, Tea, Soft Drinks (Coffee, tea, & most soft drinks are dangerous due to the caffeine.)14. Beer/Wine/Alcohol of any kind (Alcohol of any kind could lead to coma or even death.)15. Human Vitamins (Human vitamins, especially those containing iron, can cause damage to the lining of the digestive system as well as cause kidney and liver damage)16. Moldy or Spoiled Food (I think this goes without saying.)17. Persimmons (Persimmons can cause intestinal blockage)18. Raw Eggs and Raw Fish (Raw eggs and some raw fish can cause Salmonella poisoning.)19. Salt, Baking Soda, Baking Powder (In large amounts these can cause an electrolyte imbalance – and severe electrolyte imbalances can lead to muscle spasm or even congestive heart failure.)20. Mushrooms (Mushrooms may contain toxins which could cause liver and kidney damage)21. Sugar-Free Foods (Sugar-free foods containing Xylitol have been found to cause liver failure in some dogs.)22. Nutmeg (Nutmeg can cause tremors, seizures, and central nervous system damage.)23. Excessive Fatty Foods (Excess fatty foods can cause Pancreatitis.)24. Avocado (All parts of the avocado and avocado tree are toxic to dogs.)25. Diary Products (Dairy products don’t usually pose a great danger; but many dairy product have high fat content (see number 23) – and many pets are lactose intolerant – some pets more than others. Lactose intolerance leads to gas and diarrhea; though small amounts of yogurt and cheese are usually fairly well tolerated.)

• Chocolate, macadamia nuts and onions. Each of these foods contains chemicals which rarely cause problems for humans, but for dogs, these same chemicals can be deadly. http://www.petalia.com.au/Templates/StoryTemplate_Process.cfm?Story_No=257

• They really swing from dog to dog and breed to breed. I have had people tell me about all the things that kill my dog (he's in perfect health by the way.) Some things are general rule, chocolate is bad for dogs, I have yet to find a person who has lost their dog to chocolate and many dogs who have eaten chocolate. Grapes and raisins, yet to meet a person who lost a dog, a few dogs have got sick (quantity speaking, I would have been sick too,) but none that I know of have died. Onions and tomato's, my dogs love pizza, and I love my veggies, still none sick, and none dead. One of my aunt's dogs died once after eating chicken though, and the vet told us it was the chicken. Any animal can react to any type of food. Some have high tolerance, many don't, proceed with caution. Peanuts will kill some humans.

• Hi! Funny you should ask! I *just* addressed this issue on my blog a few weeks ago! Here's my post:We hear things now and then about what is toxic or poisonous to our dogs, but sometimes it’s hard to keep track of the latest findings. So, I’ve decided I will do that for you and just update it here as I find more news on this subject.PLEASE look over this list and be very careful about what you put into your dog’s bowl, feed him from the table, throw carelessly in the trash where she can access it, or mix in with your homemade food and treats!!!1.) CHOCOLATEBaking/cooking chocolate is the worst, and the younger the dog, the more deadly it is to them. Two different toxins called methyxanthines are in chocolate: caffeine and the alkaloid theobromine (lesser known and more dangerous). Ingesting chocolate can cause vomiting, diarrhea, depression, muscle tremors, excessive thirst with frequent urination. The dog can become agitated and start pacing. More dangerous symptoms can develop including elevated/irregular heart rate, blood pressure changes and seizures.2.) ONIONS & GARLICThey contain substances called disulphides that can poison your dog. Disulphides damage the surface of red blood cells, causing them to burst. The result is a disease called Heinz body anemia. The dog becomes weak and breathless, and may require a blood transfusion for recovery. The red pigment in urine (hemoglobinuria) is easily confused with urinary tract problems. Cats are more susceptible than dogs. Garlic is less toxic than onions.I know a lot of dog food & treat recipes use garlic, and I have even included it in treats and supplements in the past, but since I like to err on the side of caution when my dogs’ lives are at stake, I think the possible bad outweighs the possible good, so I will be leaving it out from now on.3.) MUSHROOMSPoisons in different mushrooms can have a variety of results for your dog: kidney and liver failure (with abdominal pain), delirium, vomiting and diarrhea, seizures, coma, possibly death. Symptoms can begin 20 minutes to 8 hours after ingestion. Pay attention when walking your dog in grassy or forest areas, and even in your own backyard (especially here in Louisiana!)4.) GRAPES & RAISINSDogs everywhere love grapes but in 1989, the ASPCA reported an emerging trend – nearly all dogs that consumed grapes or raisins developed kidney failure. When medical care was sought, elevated levels of blood calcium, blood urea nitrogen, creatinine and phosphorous were observed. These chemicals reflect kidney function. If urine production is halted, grapes can be a fatal poison for your dog. Treatment can be successful with immediate medical intervention – call your vet!5.) BONESWhether bones are good or poisonous for dogs is hotly-debated. Cooked bones become dry and brittle, absorb water from the dog’s gut, and cause constipation and intestinal blockage. Many raw bones can splinter and perforate the gut, usually requiring surgery to repair. Bone fragments can also lodge in the mouth or throat, causing discomfort, puncture the roof of the mouth or the throat/esophagus, cause dental damage, and choking. Raw bones can be poisonous to your dog if contaminated by bacteria, and can still get lodged in their throats and cause severe damage or death. Overindulging in bone marrow, which is mostly fat, can result in pancreatitis in susceptible dogs.6.) RAW MEATCommon food-poisoning bacteria, as salmonella, e. coli and yersinia, affect dogs as well as humans. Many people use the rule that if you don’t want it served to you, don’t serve it to your dog. Many people suggest that Homemade foods, especially meat components, should be properly cooked to prevent food-borne illness. Storage and cooking removes vitamins and minerals, so supplements when appropriate should be added prior to feeding.I know this is a touchy subject, as well, as I have been a previous feeder of raw meat & bones (BARF diet). Now I personally had no issues with bacteria, but I did have some problems (and a lot of scary moments) with the bones getting lodged in their throats (especially the little dogs - like my mom’s dachshunds). We fed them raw chicken backs and chicken and turkey necks. I finally ended up grinding the necks into ground meat. As for the bacteria, I made a solution of Grapefruit Seed Extract, fresh Lemon Juice and Distilled Water and sprayed it into their mouths after every meal. We never seemed to have a problem. But for several reasons we ended up moving on to holistic dry dog food instead (too many dogs to feed raw, too many choking scares, not enough time in my day to spend chopping up fruits, veggies & meats, no access to organic pesticide-free chicken, too expensive after a while, etc.) We now feed our 23 dogs Blue Buffalo brand dog food (found at PetSmart and online) and we add in the dehydrated raw food by Honest Kitchen (found online) as well as supplementing with Missing Link & Canine Transfer Factor Complete. We buy Spot’s Stew canned for our pregnant mommas and anyone recovering from surgery or illness. I also make a batch of homemade food for everyone at least once a week (brown rice, carob powder, goat’s milk, reduced sodium chicken/beef/veggie broth, green beens, spinach, crushed pineapple, apple juice, apple sauce, wheat semolina, molasses, honey, sweet potatoes, raw carrots, sweet peas and turnip greens) and I make a batch of homemade cookies as often as I can.Other potential poisonous foods for your dog are:Pear pits, kernels of plums, peach pits, apricot pits, apple core, seeds & pits (contain cyanogenic glycosides resulting in cyanide poisoning).Potato peelings and green looking potatoes (and potatoes with eyes)Rhubarb leavesNutmeg (Nutmeg can cause tremors, seizures, and central nervous system damage.)Avocado (All parts of the avocado and avocado tree are toxic to dogs.)Xylitol (A sugar-alcohol sweetener contained in chewing gum and candy. Seizures, lethargy and weakness are the result if dogs consume significant amounts of this chemical. I would also suggest keeping them away from all sugar alternatives, such as Splenda, NutriSweet, Equal, Sweet-N-Low, and Aspartame. I sweeten everything with honey or molasses, or the tiniest bit of natural Stevia.)Moldy/spoiled foods (Can contain multiple toxins causing vomiting and diarrhea and can also affect other organs.)Alcohol (Can cause intoxication, coma and death.)Yeast dough (Can expand and produce gas in the digestive system, causing pain and possible rupture of the stomach or intestines.)Coffee grounds, beans and tea (caffeine)Hops (used in home brewing - Unknown compound causes panting, increased heart rate, elevated temperature, seizures, and death.Tomato leaves and stemsBroccoli in large amountsTurkey skinBaby Food (Can contain onion powder, which can be toxic to dogs. Can also result in nutritional deficiencies, if fed in large amounts.)Citrus Oil Extract (Can cause vomiting.)Macadamia Nuts (Contain an unknown toxin, which can affect the digestive and nervous systems and muscle.)Milk & Other Dairy Products (Some adult dogs and cats do not have sufficient amounts of the enzyme lactase, which breaks down the lactose in milk. This can result in diarrhea. Lactose-free milk products are available for pets.)Persimmons Seeds (can cause intestinal obstruction and enteritis.)Raw Eggs (Contain an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption of Biotin. This can lead to skin and hair coat problems. Raw eggs may also contain Salmonella.)Salt (If eaten in large quantities it may lead to electrolyte imbalances.)Sugary Foods (Can lead to obesity, dental problems, and possibly diabetes millitus.)Liver (in large amounts it can cause Vitamin A toxicity, which affects muscles and bones.)Table scraps (in large amounts) and fat trimmings (Table scraps are not nutritionally balanced. They should never be more than 10% of the diet. Fat should be trimmed from meat; bones should not be fed. Fat can cause pancreatitis.)Raw Fish (Can result in a Thiamine deficiency leading to loss of appetite, seizures, and in severe cases, death. More common if raw fish is fed regularly. Also beware of mercury poisoning in canned, frozen & fresh fish - especially salmon.)** One very important thing to remember: TOXINS build up! Some things may not be toxic to your dog in small quantities, but if given repeatedly over time, they can build up and do serious damage or cause and early (and usually quite painful) death!If you are the least bit unsure if something is safe to give your dog, then just don’t give it - it’s not worth it!!!I hope this helps! I have a list of food that is great for your dog to eat, so email me if you are interested!Warmly,Michele