Cat bolts out of litter box after pooping?

Right after my cat finishes pooping in his litter box, he runs like a bat out of hell jumping on everything and meowing like crazy. It takes him over a minute to calm down. What is causing this? We use a common clumping litter, and add a scented baking…

Right after my cat finishes pooping in his litter box, he runs like a bat out of hell jumping on everything and meowing like crazy. It takes him over a minute to calm down. What is causing this? We use a common clumping litter, and add a scented baking…...
    General Dog Discussions : Cat bolts out of litter box after pooping?...

• Cat bolts out of litter box after pooping?

Cat bolts out of litter box after pooping? General Dog Discussions
      Right after my cat finishes pooping in his litter box, he runs like a bat out of hell jumping on everything and meowing like crazy. It takes him over a minute to calm down. What is causing this? We use a common clumping litter, and add a scented baking soda to it.Thanks, I'll get rid of the scented baking soda and buy some regular stuff. Will it do the trick though?

Cat bolts out of litter box after pooping? General Dog Discussions
    • The culprit : Scented baking soda. Cat hates scented litter and anything that is scented including baking soda annoys the heck out of him. The reason is mainly due to his developed sense of smell, who unlike humans are way more superior. Try using just regular baking soda if you must. Scoop daily, maintain a clean litter box and make sure he has enough room to move about inside the box.

• Make sure to change the cat litter every day so it stays clean. Cats have very sensitive smell so perhaps its the baking soda scent that does this to your cat. Change the cat litter to another brand and make sure there is no baking soda. I use litter crystals. They are a bit more expensive but sure worth it.

• Yes, scented catlitter is nasty. When the cat licks its paws, it can be just as awful as a human licking perfume on skin. BLECH!!! But as for the cause of your cat's behaviour, I would tend to think of another reason...It could be a sign of constipation... pain after elimination causing him to run like mad and sometimes whirl about to lick his hind end.... Check the cat's feces for signs of hairballs and perhaps amend your cat's food to a hairball formula. You can always give the cat a supplement of unscented natural petroleum jelly (Vaseline, yes I know how odd it sounds) to act as a stool softener of sorts. If the cat won't eat it (as some do) put a small blob on the cat's forefoot and he will lick it off naturally. I have a stray cat I adopted who sometimes displays the same behaviour yours does. I give him a small dollop of petroleum jelly once a week.or so, and he no longer turns into the litterbox rocketlauncher cat LOL ;-)If that doesn't help, you may want to have your vet check him out for a possible anal gland infection. Cats and dogs have specialized scent glands in the anus that can sometimes get infected and cause pain on defecation. They often show signs of distress from this by "wiping" butts on carpets and floors. The glands can sometimes fester and actually need to be expressed or popped like zits. Sounds gross, I know, but it's a fact of nature. Try the easy Vaseline fix first, and superfoul anal gland expression later ;)