after spay surgery does the dog really need to have pain medication?

I am taking my dog for spay surgery in a couple of days, i do not know if they will give her something for pain or this is not really necessary.. pain is not really a consequence after this surgery?

I am taking my dog for spay surgery in a couple of days, i do not know if they will give her something for pain or this is not really necessary.. pain is not really a consequence after this surgery?...
    General Dog Discussions : after spay surgery does the dog really need to have pain medication?...

• after spay surgery does the dog really need to have pain medication?

after spay surgery does the dog really need to have pain medication? General Dog Discussions
      I am taking my dog for spay surgery in a couple of days, i do not know if they will give her something for pain or this is not really necessary.. pain is not really a consequence after this surgery?

after spay surgery does the dog really need to have pain medication? General Dog Discussions
    • Considering it's a major invasive surgery that involves cutting through the abdominal wall, yes, pain medication will likely be prescribed. Creatures use those abdominal muscles for some of the most minor movements, cutting through them them sewing them back up still leaves them raw and painful until they are fully healed.

• The dog will be given medicine before the surgery that will make her very sleepy for 2-3 days. This gives the dog the proper amount of time to heal. Your dog will be sore but will also want to sleep for most of the 2-3 days. no further medicine should be needed.

• Yes your dog will be in a little bit of pain.Unless she is whimpering and crying out I would not give them to her.You will need to keep her from running and jumping around.From past experience my dogs recovered fairly quickly and were back to new before I needed to take her back to their stitches out.the vet will let you know all you need to do to help your dog recover.Good luck.

• Current thought is that pain should be managed. Your dog should have pain meds following surgery. My dog was given a pain injection when I picked her up and 3 days of pain meds to start the following morning.Just think, if you had a hysterectomy, would you want some pain meds? Pain medications help the dog relax which will help with healing. Good luck with the spay. Within 3 days or so, she will be nearly back to normal. The vet will give you discharge instructions.

• Yes, she will have pain, they are going to be cutting inside her, and the suture area is going to be painful, and sore...if the vet doesn't offer meds, ask...maybe even insist, you don't want her to be in pain, just having the surgery is a trauma, ending up in pain for a few days just makes it worse....good for you for being concerned about your dog!