How can I get my dog to poop?

My dog was recently put on a new medicine for arthritis, but it didn't settle with her stomach well and she had diaherra for 24 hours. I called the vet and she told me to not give her any food for 24 hours, so I didn't. After the 24 hour period, the…

My dog was recently put on a new medicine for arthritis, but it didn't settle with her stomach well and she had diaherra for 24 hours. I called the vet and she told me to not give her any food for 24 hours, so I didn't. After the 24 hour period, the…...
    General Dog Discussions : How can I get my dog to poop?...

• How can I get my dog to poop?

How can I get my dog to poop? General Dog Discussions
      My dog was recently put on a new medicine for arthritis, but it didn't settle with her stomach well and she had diaherra for 24 hours. I called the vet and she told me to not give her any food for 24 hours, so I didn't. After the 24 hour period, the diaherra stopped and I resumed feeding her again. We've been on a regular eating pattern for three days now, but she hasn't pooped yet. Is this normal when coming off of diaherra for a dog? Of course our vet is out of the office until next week, so I haven't been able to touch base. My dog is still eating normally and not showing any signs of discomfort, but three days seems like a lot of time to not poop. Any ideas?

How can I get my dog to poop? General Dog Discussions
    • This seems to be common after a bout of diarrhea because of dehydration. Please try to have your dog drink as much as possible - even if you have to flavor the water with chicken broth.Most remedies for doggie constipation need to have vet recommendation - especially if your dog has health issues. You don't mention how large or small your dog is, but if you have a small breed then you may want to consider giving your dog an enema. It's really not that bad to do and your dog might be really relieved. At the drugstore you can buy a pediatric glycerin enema to administer at home. Also, your vet's office might give (sell) you the enema if you call and speak with the vet tech. If it's too cold outside where you live to do this, then shut you and the dog in the bathroom and do it in the tub where you can at least control the environment and it's easier to clean. Don't think that an enema will cause a massive eruption of loose stool, generally if your dog is dehydrated, the liquid will be absorbed into the body and a normal bowel movement will occur.Good luck!

• Try adding some fibre to your dog's diet like cooked yams or canned pumpkin (make sure it isn't pie mix) or bran. It should help move things along and is safe to use.