Would a sedative work on my dog for vet visits? Would the dr give me some?

My mini dachshund is the worst when it's time for a nail clipping or vet visit. Let's just say that the vet does not enjoy seeing him. Would the dr give me a sedative for him? Would it work on my dog, since he tries to bite any stranger that comes near…

My mini dachshund is the worst when it's time for a nail clipping or vet visit. Let's just say that the vet does not enjoy seeing him. Would the dr give me a sedative for him? Would it work on my dog, since he tries to bite any stranger that comes near…...
    General Dog Discussions : Would a sedative work on my dog for vet visits? Would the dr give me some?...

• Would a sedative work on my dog for vet visits? Would the dr give me some?

Would a sedative work on my dog for vet visits? Would the dr give me some? General Dog Discussions
      My mini dachshund is the worst when it's time for a nail clipping or vet visit. Let's just say that the vet does not enjoy seeing him. Would the dr give me a sedative for him? Would it work on my dog, since he tries to bite any stranger that comes near me or him?My other option (that probably won't work), is to exhaust him through exercise before hand.

Would a sedative work on my dog for vet visits? Would the dr give me some? General Dog Discussions
    • Sometimes sedatives backfire and actually freak the dog out making them more aggressive if they are not totally knocked out. Talk to your vet about it and ask what he feels most comfortable doing since he will be the one in the line of fire. Then, get your dog in training. That is not acceptable behavior. Good grief, what if a child tried to pet your dog and got attacked!

• you would have to ask your vet, but he shouldwhy are you allowing your dog to behave this way? have you considered obedience classes? working on socializing him? google NILIF

• Buy one of the several natural relaxants made from flower essences. Rescue Remedy is one of the brand names. It is completely safe and all natural. Put a couple of drops on the dogs' tongue about 30 minutes before the Vet appointment. Also, get a muzzle for the dog. I have worked on dogs like this. I muzzle them and handle them with authority, not fearful. They can sense fear so if you approach them with common sense and an air of confidence, you have the upper hand. They just seem to know that you are not going to tolerate much nonsense.

• Been there with my chihuahua. I bought some pills from Walmart called "Calming Support", they are in the dog food aisle.You give them to your dog at least 1 hour before his visit. I was afraid my chi was going to have a heart attack he would get so upset when he goes to the vet. These pills helped him tremendously. The vet was glad too =)I agree with RAYSHELL partly: Walking them on cement will keep their nails trimmed. Also, my dog will not become resistant to the natural sedative it is only given to him twice a year at the most.

• Yes a mild sedative such as acepromazine would serve your purpose but generally muzzling is better. Your vet has experience with the pet and should easily be able to determine if this is necessary. You should ask your vet if he/she feels that it would be appropriate.

• Try the natural remedies suggested above. Make sure you handle the dogs feet alot and check him like a judge or vet would alot at home so that isn't added to the vet stuff like the smell, other animals, etc. Give the dog treats at the vet as long as he's good and cooperative.

• The problem with sedatives is that over time the pet can become resistant requiring a higher dosage after being exposed to this sedative. Higher dosages have a higher risk of having a negative effect on your pet's organs and (depending what is used) can induce seizures. A lot of doctors are not going to risk all this just for a nail trim (sorry). Next to nail trims the next best thing is to walk them on cement frequently. I have two dogs who I have not trimmed their nails in three years because half my backyard is concrete.

• Sometimes, as a last resort, a veterinarian will prescribe valium for you to give your dog before he arrives for his appointment. He/she will give you the best advice in this matter. If your dog is most upset about the nail clipping, try going to a groomer for this instead. It may make the vet visits less stressful.