Is there a brace I can put on my dog for a dislocated kneecap?

My 3yr old shih tzu recently injured her leg playing and the vet said she has a knee cap that dislocates. He sent her home with anti-inflammatory meds to take for 10 days and strict rest. So we're following doctors orders but is there some kind of…

My 3yr old shih tzu recently injured her leg playing and the vet said she has a knee cap that dislocates. He sent her home with anti-inflammatory meds to take for 10 days and strict rest. So we're following doctors orders but is there some kind of…...
    General Dog Discussions : Is there a brace I can put on my dog for a dislocated kneecap?...

• Is there a brace I can put on my dog for a dislocated kneecap?

Is there a brace I can put on my dog for a dislocated kneecap? General Dog Discussions
      My 3yr old shih tzu recently injured her leg playing and the vet said she has a knee cap that dislocates. He sent her home with anti-inflammatory meds to take for 10 days and strict rest. So we're following doctors orders but is there some kind of brace or something I can put on her leg to prevent her knee cap from coming out??

Is there a brace I can put on my dog for a dislocated kneecap? General Dog Discussions
    • Get some VetWrap from the Vet's office. It is slightly elastic and sticks to itself. I am surprised the Vet didn't suggest it, but I didn't see the injury. Don't wrap it too tightly, but several layers will give some extra support.

• Not that I have heard of, no. What she has is a luxating patella. The knee cap pops the trochlear groove and moves to the side instead of straight up and down. My dog has this in both knees. 25% of cases are bilateral. Did your vet tell you what grade of luxation he determined? Usually, anything over Grade 2 is recommended for surgery, but not always, Mine has a Grade 1 in one knee and Grade 3 in the other, and we did not need surgery. If your vet did not recommend it, please get your dog onto a good Glucosamine /MSM supplement. Your dog will get arthritis because of the abnormal joint movement, and these 'nutraceuticals' are far more effective when used before arthritis begins than after it is underway. You can significantly delay the onset of arthritis with these drugs. I use Glyco-Flex III with my dog, because my vet recommended I put her on something with 1000mg of glucosamine and 1000 mgs of MSM daily. My dog is 42 pounds. But you want the glucosamine and MSM to be equal in your supplement, even if you need a lower dose. Ask your vet what does is appropriate for your little gal, My dog has been on the supplements since she was 5 and she has not slowed down at all. She actually regained some function on them. Going forward, you want to discourage your dog from hopping on and off furniture and getting up on her hind legs so that you can keep her from reinjury. You will also need to closely monitor her weight to avoid undue stress on the knee (stifle) joint.