Question about a luxated patella in a small dog?

How do the vets correct a luxated patella..if it is the 1st time it has happened in a dog..does it require surgical intervention or do they reduce it by other means..and if so approx how much do each cost?

How do the vets correct a luxated patella..if it is the 1st time it has happened in a dog..does it require surgical intervention or do they reduce it by other means..and if so approx how much do each cost?...
    General Dog Discussions : Question about a luxated patella in a small dog?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Question about a luxated patella in a small dog?

Question about a luxated patella in a small dog? General Dog Discussions
      How do the vets correct a luxated patella..if it is the 1st time it has happened in a dog..does it require surgical intervention or do they reduce it by other means..and if so approx how much do each cost?

Question about a luxated patella in a small dog? General Dog Discussions
    • My parents and my sister both have dogs with that problem. My parents Maltese has a more problematic case and they say that surgery is the only cure. The vets said that they just deepen the groove in the knee cap where its having the problem and that is(i think) a permanent cure. The surgery cost is between 1000-2000 dollars I think, we live in Georgia USA.

• It's a surgical correction. Sometimes the vet deepens the groove that the patella slides in, sometime the vet tightens up the connective tissue on one side of the knee so that it pulls the patella more to that side, sometimes they do both. It depends on how severely affected your dog is.Surgery costs will depend on the vet. $1000 to $2000 is a general price range for a single surgery to correct one knee. Some vets will do both knees at the same time which makes the total cost a bit less (because there is only one surgery, one anesthesia, and one recovery instead of two). Find out from your vet who does these surgeries and call around for estimates. A vet school or other specialty center will perform these procedures, and some general practice vets will do them as well. Many vets accept Care Credit as a payment plan if you can't pay for the whole cost up front.

• As the others have said, it is a surgical correction, they actually use a took to make the groove in the bone deeper so the joint fits together and moves smoothly without popping out of place.The price is going to vary from place to place and vet to vet. About 6 years ago, I had it done to my Papillon, and if I remember right it was under $400. My vet is a good ol' country vet and is VERY reasonable in price. I love him to death, gone to him for almost 20 years now. He never even charges me an office call. :)