my friends dogs nails have grown really long and he,s having trouble trying to walk on the laminated flooring?

i have tried to cut down his nails but i reach the point where he feels it but there still to long can somebody help

my friends dogs nails have grown really long and he,s having trouble trying to walk on the laminated flooring?

i have tried to cut down his nails but i reach the point where he feels it but there still to long can somebody help...
    General Dog Discussions : my friends dogs nails have grown really long and he,s having trouble trying to walk on the laminated flooring?...

• my friends dogs nails have grown really long and he,s having trouble trying to walk on the laminated flooring?

my friends dogs nails have grown really long and he,s having trouble trying to walk on the laminated flooring? General Dog Discussions
      i have tried to cut down his nails but i reach the point where he feels it but there still to long can somebody help

my friends dogs nails have grown really long and he,s having trouble trying to walk on the laminated flooring? General Dog Discussions
    • You need to get them trimmed by a Vet.Its not good for them to be overgrown, and its dangerous to cut them yourself if you don't know how to because you can cut a major artery and the dog could bleed to death.

• Yes,take him to a groomer or a vet to have them trimmed correctly.It shouldn't cost much,usually between 5 and 10 dollars,and some groomers only charge 3.It's very uncomfortable for the dog to have to walk like that,and it can cause joint injuries or torn ligaments if the dog slides and falls.

• well you have to cut them cause it can make it hard for your dog to walk and it is very dangerous maybe you can take him to the docter . or just take the dog to a groomer to have it cut just right.

• as everyone said, take the dog to a vet or groomer to get them trimmed. I wanted to add that they will not be able to cut them to a desired length either because as the nail grows over time, the vein inside does too. with regular trimmings, the vein will receed so you will be able to trim them shorter and shorter as time goes on.

• Well, everyone suggests to have them cut - but this is actually an indicator your friend's dog does not get enough outside exercise.If you exercise a dog often enough, take them for walks, the concrete keeps their nails in check. I've never had to intentionally trim any dog's nails.But if it's a lazy owner, I guess there's no other choice but to fix the problem by throwing money at it.

• you need to get a vet or dog groomer to cut the dogs claws for you they are used to doing it and know how to cut the and how short to go, i trim my dogs nails once a week and they have no problem with the laminate floor, if the dog is feeling it when you cut his nails then you have already cut them short enough, unless he is like my baby boy when i trim his nails i only have to let see the clippers and he turns into a wimp, but cutting nails should not be painful so if in doubt let the vet do it.

• you have done the right thing and trimmed as far as you can go. when a dog is left for a long time without having its nails trimmed the quick(vein in the nail) becomes longer. the dog i rescued was 10 and appeared to have never had their nails done(she had deformed feet because of it) i took her to the vet who took too much off and made her bleed. i decided from then on to do it myself. if you trim a tiny bit at i time tou shouldnt hit the vein (i take a slither off at a time) dead nail is a white/grey colour. when the vein is near you will see a black spec appear. once i get to this point i take a metal file and smoothe the edges. i do this every few weeks. as the nail is cut the quick receeds and he will (eventually) have normal lenght nails. try running him on hard surfaces as the prssure encourages the quick to back and shorten, this also gives the nails a nice file! good luck and i hope this helps x