How to look after a horse on your own land?

When i move house i will be able to buy a horse, we are looking for a house with land because we haven't got the time too keep a horse in a livery yard and i just wondered what i needed to know to be able to keep a horse on my own land.Please help.Thanks.

When i move house i will be able to buy a horse, we are looking for a house with land because we haven't got the time too keep a horse in a livery yard and i just wondered what i needed to know to be able to keep a horse on my own land.Please help.Thanks....
    General Dog Discussions : How to look after a horse on your own land?...

• How to look after a horse on your own land?

How to look after a horse on your own land? General Dog Discussions
      When i move house i will be able to buy a horse, we are looking for a house with land because we haven't got the time too keep a horse in a livery yard and i just wondered what i needed to know to be able to keep a horse on my own land.Please help.Thanks.

How to look after a horse on your own land? General Dog Discussions
    • Well, a ton! When you board a lot of this is done for you, but when you have a horse on your own land its all up to you.First off, before you put the horse in the pasture, cut the grass and walk through it thoroughly. I know horses eat grass but if you allow the horse to splurge on a new pasture with long grass you're putting them at risk of getting founder or colic. This will also allow you to check for sharp object or fallen off shoes from the horses that lived there before. If your horse steps on a nail or any other sharp metal, and it goes into the frog (living part of the hoof) they could go permanently lame. You can also check for holes or burrows made by wild animals, wouldn't want your horse to step in them.Next, inspect the stalls and other places around the barn for loose boards or nails.Clean all the stalls and put bedding in them before the horse arrives.Next you'll need hay (NOT STRAW) and lots of it, and feed. Talk to the horse's owner before you buy feed since different horses require different types of food. Buy food before you buy the horse. Make sure you have all the basic items for horse care. Halter and lead rope, feed, buckets, hoof picks, brushes, fly spray, water bucket, something to clean the water bucket with, basic wound care, wormer, etc. Tack and all is necessary to ride, but that horse doesn't need that ASAP. Also when you first get the horse, leave it be for 2-3 days to adjust. You can groom and feed him but I don't recommend riding or leading him around too much.Get a farrier and vet lined up to. I'm guessing you already know the basics of horse care? If not, please consult with an experienced horse owner for help or maybe take some horse lessons. Horses are not like cats or dogs and take tons of work. If you don't care for a horse properly you will certainly destroy the animal.