will my dog recover from this?

Yesterday morning i took my young energetic dog to the vet for booster injection.he was his usual bouncy self. He got booster in scruff of his neck as he bent down to eat treats off floor.However following injection he has been very unwell and can hardly…

Yesterday morning i took my young energetic dog to the vet for booster injection.he was his usual bouncy self. He got booster in scruff of his neck as he bent down to eat treats off floor.However following injection he has been very unwell and can hardly…...
    General Dog Discussions : will my dog recover from this?...

• will my dog recover from this?

will my dog recover from this? General Dog Discussions
      Yesterday morning i took my young energetic dog to the vet for booster injection.he was his usual bouncy self. He got booster in scruff of his neck as he bent down to eat treats off floor.However following injection he has been very unwell and can hardly walk. i took him to emergency vet last night and they think he has a neck problem.He is in a lot of pain and keeps lifting his front paw but cant see anything wrong with it. He is unable to pick up any treats from the floor now.Could this be nerve damage due to injection ? He did not feel anything at the time.Will this get better ? he is now struggling to get up onto sofa etc.He is like a totally different dog. Vet has given him strong pain killers and said he might need an mri scan but this costs £1200. He was perfectly fine before jab.Has anyone seen this before?he is a cross breed , about five years old and has a microchip. He is holding his neck to the side and lifts one paw when he tries to bend down.It was leptospirosis vaccination

will my dog recover from this? General Dog Discussions
    • You poor girl! This sounds awful! Does your dog have a microchip? It really does sound like they hit a nerve. Was it a vet or a tech administering the shot?How old is your dog? What breed?Sorry i know this is not really an answer, but i am curious about a few things. Please update. Also what shot? what booster?

• ANy vaccine can cause a bad reaction at any time, unfortunately. The percentages are still low, and we should always vaccinate our dogs - but some vaccines can cause loss of motor skills and other problems as you are seeing. Since he has not improved, call the vet's office and have them paged. They should report the adverse reaction to the company that manufactured it, as well as consult with them about the proper treatment. Your dog should probably be on a steroid such as prednisone, as the inflammation from the reaction sounds as if it is affecting the spinal chord and motor function. He shoudl also probably be on fluid therapy - which means he needs to be injected with extra fluids and monitored. While I can't know for sure, it is more likely that this is a direct result of the vaccine, rather than any contact between the needle and the dog's spinal chord. All-over malaise like this is a systemic reaction, not a reaction to a tiny injury. But nonetheless, he needs to be monitored - and he may well recover, but it also may take a couple of days. The vet should be dealing with this - and yes, it is an emergency, so get them on the horn now..

• I have heard that one woman took her dog to see a vet for a vaccination and the dog came out ill. It turned out that he was severely ill. He died shortly afterwards, possible due to a side-effect from the vaccination.I would advise that you look up that type of vaccination on the internet and in books. Also, I would advise that you talk to your friends and family who have had dogs that were given that vaccination. Ask them if their dogs showed any side effects and, if they did, what were the side-effects?I would like to point out that your dog may have a boost in his chances of survival from the fact that he is a crossbreed. Some people say that mixed breeds are hardier dogs and that they live longer lives because they have not been bred specifically for particular features such as intelligence or strong muscles, or physical features such as flat muzzles or overly wrinkled skin. Breeders have been known to mate dogs that are not necessarily the most hardy together just for their appearance or for their ability to do particular jobs. However, your dog should be safe from these genetic problems because he is a crossbreed.