UTI help in male dog?

My 12yr old male, neutered dog has a UTI. I took him to the vet who tested his urine and found blood present in his urine. My dog was put on Clavamox. He has finished the antibiotics today and is still urinating frequently. The Vet did mention performing…

UTI help in male dog?

My 12yr old male, neutered dog has a UTI. I took him to the vet who tested his urine and found blood present in his urine. My dog was put on Clavamox. He has finished the antibiotics today and is still urinating frequently. The Vet did mention performing…...
    General Dog Discussions : UTI help in male dog?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• UTI help in male dog?

UTI help in male dog? General Dog Discussions
      My 12yr old male, neutered dog has a UTI. I took him to the vet who tested his urine and found blood present in his urine. My dog was put on Clavamox. He has finished the antibiotics today and is still urinating frequently. The Vet did mention performing Xray to check for stones if symptoms do not stop. I'm taking him back to Vet this week as soon as i can get a appointment for him. My question is this: Is it normal for a dog with a UTI to urinate then drink LOADS of water straight afterwards? Should I definitely take him back to the Vet? This is his second UTI. Thanks.Do you have any idea how much abdominal X rays cost in UK? I'll definitely take him back to the Vet. I'll try and get him in tomorrow. No he isn't Diabetic.

UTI help in male dog?

UTI help in male dog? General Dog Discussions
    • Those are definately the symptoms of UTIs. They drink toooons of water and then pee very often. I definately think you should take him back to the vet...he might need another round of antibiotics.It also wouldn't hurt to check for stones, which like you mentioned, can been seen on an x-ray. Stones in the bladder usually require surgery.

• Yes you definitely need to take him back to the vet. Sometimes one course of antibiotics doesn't fix the problem and they need either another course or a change to a different antibiotic.Dogs with UTI's do tend to drink more water.

• Loads of water indicates a problem. Is he diabetic? Excessive drinking will cause a electrolyte imbalance and distention od the abdomen. Report this to the vet right away.

• As a uti is caused by a bacteria, it's very natural for your dog to be drinking lots of water, as it's just nature's way of trying to 'flush out the system'. So it should be encouraged :)You should definitely take him back to the vets. It's quite common for the first lot of antibiotics to not have much effect, very often re-treatment is needed. Your vet may even prescribe a stronger drug, or more aggressive approach.You can also discuss with your vet some other things you could be doing to help your dog recover. Sometimes giving your dog citrus drinks can make the urine acidic which would help, and would reduce the pain and discomfort when urinating. There are also natural remedies that may help your dog, like giving him garlic or rosehip, etc :http://ezinearticles.com/?Natural-Treatments-For-Urinary-Tract-Infections-(UTI)-in-Dogs&id=1381362Also your dog's diet can play a part. You don't say what breed your dog is... some breeds are more susceptible to bladder stones, infections, etc (I have a dalmatian who can be very prone for them!). It may be beneficial to change your dog's diet to one that is low in purines (but not low in protiens!).http://www.aplus-flint-river-ranch.com/article-healthydalmatiandiet.phpYou will need to discuss all these points with your vet, and you can decide together which would could help your dog more. I sure hope your furry fella feels better soon xxx