What happens if my dog ripped his toenail out?

He was running with someother dogs and when he came in his foot was bleeding and I realized I didn't see his nail. Is it just uncomfortable for him (obviously), or will it cause other problems? Thank you.

He was running with someother dogs and when he came in his foot was bleeding and I realized I didn't see his nail. Is it just uncomfortable for him (obviously), or will it cause other problems? Thank you....
    General Dog Discussions : What happens if my dog ripped his toenail out?...

• What happens if my dog ripped his toenail out?

What happens if my dog ripped his toenail out? General Dog Discussions
      He was running with someother dogs and when he came in his foot was bleeding and I realized I didn't see his nail. Is it just uncomfortable for him (obviously), or will it cause other problems? Thank you.

What happens if my dog ripped his toenail out? General Dog Discussions
    • Take him to the vet. Even if they don't do anything it's worth checking up.The feet are the parts of the dog that get wet and traipsed through mud and dirt and therefore harbor the most bacteria. This can lead to an infection, so it's best to let the vet advise you on what to do. They may cover the wound up for a while until a new nail grows or it has healed.

• Until you can get a vet appointment, make up a solution of one tablespoon of salt to one pint of cooled boiled water and dunk the whole foot in it, several times today. The nailbed can become infected and the salt water will help prevent this. Continue for a while with the salt if you decide not to go to the vets, although he might need antibiotic lotion or tablets.

• As long as its not bleeding continuously it should be fine. No need for vet unless it looks like it might becoming infected. Should be fine though. And it will grow back. My dog did the same she just came inside one day from playing outside. Be sure that her nails are kept cut short and not grown out.

• I agree with Skins please take him to the vet. This is a very uncomfortable injury for a dog a vet should proscribe an ointment to put on it to relive pain and prevent infection. The vet should also advise you to keep it covered for a period of time this will also help prevent infection. Hope my information helped you and hope your dog feels better soon.